Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Castle's in Munich (Bavaria) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/castles-in-munich-bavaria-226051/)

Traveler May 28th, 2002 01:50 PM

Castle's in Munich (Bavaria)

Heading to Munich and Garmisch for 3 days and want to see some castles while there.<BR><BR>Suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks!!!

xxxx May 28th, 2002 02:01 PM

get a guidebook.

Traveler May 28th, 2002 02:16 PM

That was insightful. Anyone else? :)

joe May 28th, 2002 02:48 PM

Get a good guidebook.

Thyra May 28th, 2002 02:53 PM

We drove from Munich to (ok the spelling will be way off) Neuschwenstin.. in Bavaria (Kind Ludwig 2's, cinderella castle) it was a glorious drive and a very interesting day.. but I understand in summer the crowds are monstrous. When we were there in March, it was relatively empty.

Thyra May 28th, 2002 02:54 PM

OK.. that should be King Ludwig.. though he may have been kind as well.

Zen May 28th, 2002 03:00 PM

Dear Traveler, Do some searches on this board using "Bavaria" and "castles" and you will find lots of information. Ignore the junk in some of the posts (see above). There is some good advice on these threads. Have fun and good luck.

Dee May 28th, 2002 03:04 PM

We are going to be in Garmisch-Partenkirchen next month. Just today I faxed and reserved tickets for the Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles. I now have confirmed tickets with a reserved time--no waiting in line. <BR><BR>Here's the web site for info: www.ticket-center-hohenschwangau.de<BR><BR>You pay $3.20 Euro extra for the reservation. Kids under 18 are free with paying adult. Good luck

Mia May 28th, 2002 03:08 PM

Definitely go to Neuchswanstein but Linderhof is a MUST and Amalienburg Hunting Lodge which is spectacular.Linderhof is by far the most beautiful inside.

Natasha May 28th, 2002 05:11 PM

Neuchswanstein is my favorite castle so far. The outside is awesome (as I'm sure you've seen in pictures) but the inside is even better. It also has an interesting history and good hiking nearby where you can take a good picture looking down at the castle. Rick Steve's guide book gives good directions for how to get there on the train. We went in the fall so the crowds weren't bad. Have fun.

Nancy May 28th, 2002 05:14 PM

I agree that Linderhof is a must - it was by far my favorite. I clipped this from my Germany trip report - horse cart ride and short walk to ?Mad? King Ludwig?s<BR>Neuschwanstein castle. Gorgeously carved wood furniture; fun castle. Walked back down for lunch, then walked to Hohenschwangau castle, Ludwig?s family home. Beautiful interior and paintings. Liked Neuschwanstein furniture better but Hohenschwangau had more furnished rooms.

yy May 29th, 2002 04:43 AM

If your base is Munich, probably the best way to see Linderhoff (in &Ouml;berammergau) and Neuschwanstein & Hohenschwangau (near F&uuml;ssen) is to purchase a "Bayern Ticket" for weekday travel (approx. 21 Eur) or "schones Wochend Ticket" for weekend travel (28 Eur). This allows travel on "slow trains" (the only type going to these destinations). Up to 5 people can travel all day for this low price, which is a great deal. <BR><BR>You can purchase these right at the train station, and there is no reservations requirement. Trains leave for, and return from, F&uuml;ssen nearly every hour (2 hr. ride).

Rick Jul 9th, 2002 04:25 PM

For Dee<BR><BR>RE: Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles<BR><BR>Do you know if you can travel from Garmisch to these castles via bus or train and how long will it take?<BR><BR>Rick

Art Jul 9th, 2002 04:35 PM

Yes you can take a bus from Garmish to Neuschwanstein and Hohenswangau, but I'm not sure about Linderhof. Although not a castle, you should try to visit Oberamergau. Charming village with seens from Grimm’s fairy tales painted on the front of houses. Pay attention to the Canopy on Ludwigs bed at Neuschwanstein. Took 14 woodcarvers 3 1/2 years to carve it.<BR>

Barb Jul 9th, 2002 06:23 PM

let me get this straight: you have three days and you want to see Munich, Garmisch and some castles. Suggestions?...get a really good guidebook, you need one bad.

stella Jul 16th, 2002 12:21 AM

In Munich go to the Residenz Museum where you can see the Bavarian crown jewels.