Castles in Ireland

Aug 4th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Castles in Ireland

Hi friends,

Great to be a part of such a lively community.
I will be in Dublin early next year and wanted to visit some famous Irish historical places while I am there. I am particularly interested in Irish castles, like the one in Kilkenny. What are some other great castles that I could visit?
Aug 4th, 2017, 05:18 AM

Depends on your Itinerary and what you call a Castle. Kilkenny Castle was a Norman stronghold in the 1300's but has been extensively developed and the Buttlers had one of the side walls removed so as to get a long view over the parkland (also removed the peasants in that direction)

Blarney Castle is a genuine Irish, Irish castle although it follows the Norman model. Cahir is a good example as is Desmond Castle (Adare). County Clare has 100 castles from a pile of stone to fully restored. Trim Castle has been used in many films including Braveheart.

It is worth remembering that many castles are basically Tower houses and not the Disney variety.

Give some idea of your Itinerary and you can get some feedback on whats along your route.
Aug 5th, 2017, 02:30 AM

The roofless castle atop Rock of Cashel has a commanding view of the local countryside and plenty of history to investigate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of_Cashel

Search this Thread