Reload this Page >

Castles & Vineyards Honeymoon Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Susie

We decided to go to Germany/France for our honeymoon and see some castles and vineyards. Then someone suggested a boatride down the Rhine. Can someone lend some suggestions as definite places (towns, castles, vineyards) to stop and any info on the Rhine tours? THANK YOU!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Natasha

I have been to a lot of castles now and my favorite is Neuschwanstein. I've heard there are long line-ups in the summer. When we went in the fall it was fine. The inside is incredible, and the outside is great in pictures. But if you're looking to see castle ruins, this isn't the place. Also, Rothenburg is a beautiful town. It might be nice to stay in (we just had time for a day trip).

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Rex

Neuschwanstein is a long way fron the Rhine - - and opinions are divided on how worthwhile it is to make a trip there if you are not otherwise interested in Bavaria. If you do go, then try to make it an overnight stay (Rick Steves' suggestion of Reutte Austria is a worthy alternative to Fussen) and try to go to Schloss Linderhof to see an other fairly different side of Ludwig's &quot;madness&quot;.<BR><BR>My two suggestions for castles would be Burg Eltz which is vaguely in the Rhine region (technically the Mosel region - - and a great vineyards region in its own right) - - and Chateau de Haut Koeningbourg which is smack in the heart of the Alsace vineyards region of France - - bordering the Black Forest in Germany (across the Rhine - - but not the region where cruises are offered).<BR><BR>I think that Heidelberg is one of the most impressive castles in the western Germany / Rhine region but I have never been there.<BR><BR>None of these are castles where you can stay overnight. I can't cite any personal experience with a castle hotel in the area you want to visit - - but I would recommend several websites where you can match your geography to your own particular tastes.<BR><BR>http://www.germany-castles-hotels.com/<BR><BR>http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/2765.html<BR><BR>http://www.mediaspec.com/castles/index.html<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>http://www.tyzo.com/europe/germany/castles.html<BR><BR>(I realize that some of these web sites cite each other).<BR><BR>And congratulations on your new life in marriage.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Corinna

If you are not set on Germany consider the Wachau Valley in Austria along the Danube!<BR>Castles, abbeys,a dreamy river, vineyards, quaint villages, gourmet dining at reasonable prices!<BR>http://www.tiscover.at/guide/5,en,SCH1/objectId,RGN130621at,curr,EUR,season,at2/home.html<BR><BR>I can recommend specific hotels, B&amp;B's, restaurants and travel tips, as I am from that region.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:52 PM
CharlieB

Susie - I think you will find the Rhine and Mosel Valleys idyllic and an ideal area for a honeymoon. Look at the internet sites mentioned above. My wife and I recently returned from 3 weeks in a rented cottage in a small town in the Mosel Valley. We spent 2 nights at both Schloss Liebenstein and Schloss Gutenfels on the Rhine. They are not &quot;elegant&quot;, but certainly were &quot;romantic&quot; - at least to us old foggies. Schloss Schoenburg, I understand is less rustic. From all of these hotels it is easy to hop the cruise boats up an down the Rhine. A car would be helpful,however, as these hotels are located high on the cliffs and access to the towns is a 20 - 40 minute hike. A car would also let you explore the surrounding area. A truly excellent guidebook is &quot;Touring in Wine Country - The Mosel and Rheingau&quot; by Stuart Pigott. Excellent for info on the vinyards, restaurants, lodging and sites. BEST WISHES!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:38 PM
up

topping, for Susie<BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Natasha

I have been to both Neuschwanstein and Heidelberg and by far prefered Neuschwanstein. It may be considered too far out of the way by some people but definitely was not for me! It all depends on what kind of castles you are interested in I guess.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Russ

I agree with the suggestion of Burg Eltz wholeheartedly: www.burg-eltz.de<BR><BR>Another well preserved but more rustic castle you can tour, and right on the Rhine, is Marksburg Castle in Braubach, just south of Koblenz in the Rhine Gorge: www.roadstoruins.com/marksburg.htm<BR><BR>Tha Auf Sch&ouml;nburg Castle-hotel in Oberwesel is pretty spectacular and just the place for a honeymoon - not too expensive, either, for some odd reason. It's in a very attractive spot near the Loreley Cliffs anc close to some other interesting towns (Boppard, St. Goar) as well.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 03:54 AM
xxx

Stay on the Mosel--IMHO, it is what you hope the Rhine will be. Have a car, it will help you access all the places you want to go. Burg Eltz!