Castle of Herrenchiemsee - Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone Knows a train (or bus)connection between Salzburg and the Herrenchiemsee Castle (before take the boat off course).
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:57 AM

You'll need to take a train which stops in Prien am Chiemsee which is on the Salzburg-Munich route.

The trip takes about 45 minutes.

There are usually numerous timings throughout the day.

You can check schedules here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

If i get off the train in the Chiemsee stop, how I get the boat to the castle ?
Is it possible go walking from train station ? There is a bus or ....
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Here's what you can do:

there is a narrow gauge railway which runs from the GermanRail train station (you cannot miss it) to the boat docks in nearby Stock.

The timings of the little railway usually coincide with the arrivals from Salzburg/Munich.

As an alternative to that you can simply exit the station and follw the patway that runs along the tracks of the little railway.

That will take you through the village of Prien and on to Stock.

I've done this before and the walk is easy, level, and takes way less than 30 minutes.

Once you get to Stock you'll see the boats and the ticket office. Just tell them you want a round trip (return) ticket and take the next boat over.

From the dock on the island itself you can either walk to the palace or take one of the horse-drawn carriages.

When we visited we opted to walkback from the palace to the boat dock and noticed the carriages weren't really any faster.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

What you mean with "(you cannot miss it)" - A narrow gauge railway - is it something special or ...
And do you have any idea how much costs (+ -) the boat (trip around) and the horse-drawn carriages .
Last (if you donīt bother) is it a good choice - visit the castle when we are at Salzburg?
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:59 AM

What I meant is you cannot miss the terminus of the smaller railroad sice the station is right next to the GermanRail one.

To some, riding the narrow guage is something special given that is is steam-propelled and the carriages have been well-preserved. For others it wouldn't be a big deal.

I honestly cannot say whether or not it is a "good choice" given that you are in Salzburg.

We did the trip while staying in Munich because Herrenchiemsee was the only Ludwig "build" we had not visited.

In case you don't know, it is the largest of them all with more than 200 rooms. Is is, IMO, the most elaborately decorated inside of all (including Linderhof) and it really is a tribute to all things Louis XIV; the Hall of Mirrors is even larger than the one at Versailles. There are periodic tours in English.

We are glad we visited.

I cannot recall the prices for the boat trips, carriage rides, and tours.