Castle hotels in Ireland

Dec 28th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Dottie

Castle hotels in Ireland

What castle hotel in Ireland on the West, Southwest and up into Dublin would be a good choice? We are doing B&B's but are thinking of splurging for a night or two. Thank you.

Dec 28th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Rex

This is on my "must go there" list (haven't actually been there yet) - - http://www.markreecastle.ie - - it's actually NORTHwest - - in County Sligo.

Best wishes,

Rex

Dec 28th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Kathleen

Ashford Castle north of Galway is sumptuous! Wonderful place. Another well visited place is Dromoland Castle near Shannon airport. And then there Glinn in north Co. Kerry--very ritzy.
There's also a place near Cork City that has a resident ghost, though can't remember the name off-hand.
And there's another neat haunted place in Co. Monaghan, northwest of Dublin, but the name escapes me right now....

For really cool places to stay, try the Hidden Ireland website 'www.hidden-ireland.ie'...

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:14 PM
JOdy

If I had my choice of the top splurge in Ireland , I'd pass on the castle hotel, but Ashford wold be right up there on my list! I'd choose Ballymaloe in Shanagarry, county Cork. Darina Allen id the foremost cook in Ireland and the place looks wonderful, country House hotel style. I'm sure you could find the website or info just with the name, Ballymaloe. Travel and Leisure just named it one of the top hotels in the world.

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:23 PM
JOdy

Here's the website

http://www.ballymaloe.com/Ballymaloe...s/frameall.htm

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Nfw

Actually, I was disappointed with the Ashford. But I was expecting a real castle and it is a fake. It is fairly new and just a big hotel. But the grounds are nice and the little town is fine.

Dec 28th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Dottie

Thanks to all for the information!

Dec 28th, 2001, 05:57 PM
JOdy

NFW,

Thanks for Info , I will be crossing Ashford off my list. I have often found that these "castles" are total rip offs. So I guess < AC >will go too. I do love the country house hotel thing though!! They are real!

Dec 28th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Judi

We were also not impressed with Ashford Castle. We spent one night there in April a few years ago and our bill which included breakfast, dinner and a bar bill was $500. Our room was in the newer addition and was nothing more than a nice hotel room.

Dottie, I suggest you splurge somewhere else. I know you will have a great time; B&Bs in Ireland are great.

Dec 28th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Dottie

Thanks Judi-
Do you recommend any B&B's? We will be in Galway or thereabouts, Dingle, Kinsale or thereabouts, and Dublin. Are there any B&B's that stand out in your mind?

Dec 29th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Cathy

Dottie,

The Castle in Monaghan is Castle Leslie and it is run by members of the Leslie Family. For the real experience etc you should check out the properties listed in the Hidden Ireland listings - they are a mixture of country houses and old world places - see www.hidden-ireland.com.

Ohter useful web sites for your holidays in Ireland include
www.ireland.travel.ie
Ireland West : www.westireland.travel.ie
www.connemarra-tourism.org/
www.connemara-tourism.org/index.html
www.connemara.net/
East Coast/Midlands : www.midlandseastireland.travel.ie
Cork - Kerry : www.cork-kerry.travel.ie
www.dingle-peninsula.ie/
Ireland South East : www.southeastireland.travel.ie
Ireland North West : www.northwestireland.travel.ie
Dublin : www.visitdublin.com
The Shannon Region : www.shannonireland.travel.ie

General Information on getting around and accessing main sites
www.ireland.com
www.heritageireland.com - Great information on heritage cards which allow access to most sites.
www.cie.ie – CIE is the umbrella company for public transport and has links to the bus and rail schedules and Dublin Bus schedules. CIE tours also has specialized section on tours to main attractions
www.aircoach.ie – This is a non-stop bus link to and from the airport to the major hotels.
www.ryanair.ie – No frills cheap airline has fares as low as 9 Irish pounds to airports in the UK & Europe.
www.tourismresources.ie

Accommodation & Restaurants
www.ireland.travel.ie
www.townandcountry.ie
www.irishfarmholidays.com
www.hidden-ireland.com,
www.jurys.com
www.templehouse.ie (Sligo – NorthWest)
www.beourguest.ie
www.castlesireland.com/
www.gsh.ie (good hotel chain)
www.irelands-blue-book.ie/
www.ballymaloe.com (In Cork – the southern region – it has an excellent restaurant)
www.irishcountryhousesandcastles.com

Passage Graves/Ancient Tombs
www.loughcrew.com,
www.meathtourism.ie
Driving in Ireland
www.roadwatch.ie
Walking Tours
http://www.irishwaymarkedways.ie
Golf
http://www.golf.travel.ie
Fishing
http://www.cfb.ie

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Dec 29th, 2001, 05:16 PM
Dottie

Wow Cathy, what a list!!! Thanks! Some good information there!

Jan 1st, 2002, 08:21 PM
Ernie

We stayed at Dromoland Castle this summer and had a wonderful experience. The castle is not very close to any towns, etc. as it sits out in the country, but the place is beautiful, the staff attentive and the restaurant *outstanding*. It's a splurge I would recommend.

Jan 9th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Sally

We stayed in Dromoland Castle too and found it excellent.They have a web site at www.dromoland.ie.It is near Bunratty Castle which has an enjoyable medieval dinner with very good entertainmant.