Reload this Page >

Castle Hotels and/or B&B's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:20 PM
David

I'd love to hear from anyone who could tell me of their experiences staying at castle that's been converted to a hotel,B&B, or Inn. While Germany would be ideal, castles in other parts of Europe would be ok. I'm curious as to the cost, are they nice, do you get to roam around, are they good to stay in for a few nights or better for just an overnight, etc.? Any and all advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 07:06 PM
topper

I'm also curious. Hope someone responds.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 07:11 PM
Rex

I had a very good experience at Parkhotel Wasserburg-Anholt - - you can find more info at www.burg-hotel-anholt.com - - a real <BR>castle with a giant moat, and its own (little) museum. I have some reason to believe that its management may have chamged in the past year or two - - so investigate it like any other anecdotal information here. Do your own "due diligence" - - as they say in the stock market! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 05:21 AM
Laura

Suggest you check out "chateauxhotels.com" for lovely properties throughout France. They provide detailed info and photos.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 06:17 PM
Ann

David, as I've noted many time previously on this forum (disclaimer so I don't sound like a commercial), the Burghotel auf Schonburg on the Rhine is the MOST wonderful place to stay, esp. if you can make it your last night in Germany. It's magical, but I've never been able to explain how/why. Just try it and I think you'll agree. They have a website at www.hotel-schoenburg.com and you can inquire about reservations via that site. We also very much enjoyed the hotel at the Wartburg on our last trip. While not technically part of the castle, it is on the castle grounds high above the town of Eisenach and was just wonderful. You can check it out at www.wartburghotel.de. We have stayed at other castle hotels elsewhere, but these would be my two favorites. They're both first-class operations, with excellent restaurants.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 06:46 PM
Rex

This may seem picky - - I think there are many great "chateau hotels" in France, but none quite fit my idea of a "castle" - - to me, castle implies a fortified structure which is/was both "regal" but also "defensive". <BR> <BR>Ann's Hotel Schoenburg seems to fit this ideal (admittedly mine, maybe not yours) - - so does Niedzica Zamek - - www.hotelspoland.com/castle_palace/niedzica - - this is a place I have never been (but would like to) - - and it didn't occur to me to list a place in Poland, in response to David's original question. I think there are also many places that qualify in Scotland, England or both (and maybe Ireland too?) I am not knowledgeable about any such places. <BR> <BR>I have stayed or eaten at a number of chateau hotels in France (and I have many more I want to add to my list) - - but they strike more like what we might call a "palace" or a "mansion" then a "castle".

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
John

You might want to think about Spain (Paradores). In Autumn or Spring (avoid the tourist season pretty much) you can stay at castles, monastaries, hospitals, 'farms' etc. that are very old, partially and/or completely restored. And yes, you can roam in some of them. Most have a restaurant on-site with local fare - great food. Each is typically in a unique setting, some in very small villages that are great to explore. <BR> <BR>Suggest you check www.parador.es for info.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 01:25 PM
StCirq

There are quite a number of castle hotels in the Dordogne area of France that are real castles - though not all enormous by any means. For the most part, rooms are relatively modest in price - a bit under or a bit over $100 a night for a double room. Yes, you get to roam around - not into other people's bedrooms, though. Many offer meals if you let them know in advance - some will put together a picnick lunch for you. They often have swimming pools or a pond, boating, fishing, and bicycles available for guests. Some have horses for riding. Some are quite elaborate and have spacious grounds and are furnished with lavish antiques; others are more modest. There are also plenty of French families who rent out parts of châteaux that have been in their families for years - by the week or month. Whether or not they would be better for a night or a few days would be up to you.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Brad

Only castle I've ever stayed in was the pousada at the walled city of Obidos in Portugal. Was quite nice actually.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Lori

We've stayed at several including Auf Schonburg (Rhine). One true castle hotel that we've visiting many times is Schlosshotel Kronberg just outside Frankfurt and convenient to the airport. It was built for the Kaiser's mother, daughter of Queen Victoria of England. Although some may considered it more of a mansion (albeit a very large one) than a castle since there aren't any noticeable defenses. But I found a great book a few years ago--a little out of date price-wise, etc., but a good starting point, "Europe's Castle and Palace Hotels" by Carole Chester.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Georgine

Dear David, <BR> <BR>Whenever possible, we stay in castle or chateau hotels that are on our itinerary routes through Europe. <BR> <BR>Schoenburg on the Rhine is also one of my favorites. <BR> <BR>In addition to the previously posted sources of information, you may want to check out a book called " Dream Sleeps" <BR>by Pamerla L. Barrus. Excellent info, by property (with some pictures)for castle and palace hotels for the countries of Austria, France, Germany, Great Britian, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain. Some of the info is repetitive of what you can find on the web; however, there are many properties listed that I couldn't find even with prolonged web searches. <BR> <BR>Also, you can get a book of properties in Austria and northern Italy from the Austrian National Tourist office, and also a listing of properties in Hungary from their National Tourist Office in NYC. <BR> <BR>We usually stay only one night per property---just for the experience. The memories of these special places I will always treasure! <BR>