Castle Hotel with Kids

Old May 21st, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Castle Hotel with Kids

We will be traveling to Britain with our 2 children, ages 5 & 9 at the end of November. I would like to splurge and spend one night in a castle. I have browsed some of the castle websites such as celticcastles.com but would love a personal recommendation.

Tentative itinerary is 4 nights in London, 2 nights in York and 2 nights in Edinburgh. We were thinking about Dalhousie in Edinburgh - any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:23 PM

Hi Cathy. In June 2002, we stayed at Thornbury Castle just outside of Bristol. At that time, my son was 9. It was an experience of a lifetime!

The castle is authentic and refurbished, but I do not now recall the specifics. The service was incredible! We even had a champagne picnic with the owners and their young family on the grounds, which are lovely and yours to explore! We also played croquet and archery on the front lawn, visited with their horse, had champagne in the library, high tea in the garden, and a spectacular dinner in the formal dining room. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Our room was spectacular - huge, made of stone and decorated in rich, beautiful fabrics. There was a large fireplace and bathroom and a kingsize bed with wonderful linens. A cot was brought up for my son.

Staying at Thornbury was an experience my family will remember forever. It is first class all the way! I don't know their website address offhand, but their e-mail address is [email protected]. I hope you stay there and have a wonderful time!
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM

Thornbury may very well be wonderful - but it is on the wrong side of the country since they want to head north.

CathyC: There are several elegant and homey Castle hotels in Scotland - but you really can't go wrong staying at Dalhousie. It is in a great location - And I'd bet in November you might get a good enough deal to be able to stay ther both nights you are in Edinburgh.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:57 AM

Cathy,

You might find some info at this site:

http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castle96.htm

Hope this helps.

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
Old May 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM

Peter Irvine's "Scotland the Best" has a section on hotels that welcome kids.

One of them is Stonefield Castle (not exactly on the beaten track) and another is the Swallow just outside Dundee, which I happen to nkow has a 19th century castle in its interesting aglomeration.

Either of interest?
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Hi Cathy!!!!

I can certainly recommend Dalhousie Castle. I stayed there for two nights in September 99...it was fabulous!!!!! It's only 6 or 7 miles outside of Edinburgh, so that was great also!!!! We were a party of 5 and three of us shared this incredibly large room. A piece of advice though...there are no elevators and our room was on the top floor...72 steps, I think if I remember correctly. Not a big deal...it was certainly worth it and I'm sure if we had asked for help, they would have been more then happy to get our stuff up to our rooms...we just didn't think at the time...silly us
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM

We stayed at a beautiful castle not far from Hadrian's Wall. It had thick stone walls, the great room with a wonderful rstaurant, walk-in fireplaces, the privy alcoves in the outerwalls. It was my husband's favorite place in the entire trip. It would be located between York and Edinburgh. If you are interested I'll dig out the name.
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:08 PM

I remember the name - Langley Castle near Hexham.
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Axelrod - Langley Castle? How funny you should mention that - we researched that castle and it did sound quite nice. We turned our focus over to Dalhousie because we thought we could "kill 2 birds with one stone" - tour Edinburgh AND give the kids their castle! Also we will be traveling by train and I wasn't able to find an easy route from York to Hexham to Edinb. - although I may not have done my search correctly. We are looking forward to exploring Hadrians Wall while we are in York.

Janis - I would love to find a deal and be able to stay 2 nights (no packing, unpacking etc...) When would you suggest checking? The Dalhousie website only lists rack rates right now. Do you have a good system for finding deals? Are the castle hotels typically listed on the better known hotel booking sites?

David & Sheila - I will check out your recommendations. Thank you!

Iregeo - Thornbury sounds absolutely wonderful! Unfortunatley it will not fit into our plans this trip - but there is always next time! I am happy to hear you had such a good castle experience with a 9 y/o because that is my daughters age. I think staying in a castle will give her some really nice memories!

Ginny - Thanks for sharing your positive experience! How did you travel from Dalhousie to Edinburgh? I was hoping we could get some kind of bus service - perhaps we would have to use cabs?
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:20 PM

We stayed at Langley Castle, too, and our kids loved it. It made a good stop on our way to explore Hadrian's Wall . It is a bit off the beaten track, and I think you'd need a rental car to get there and have some flexibility for exploring the area. We were there in August and it worked out very well, but in November you might want to stay a bit closer to the big cities and/or let someone else do the driving. The days will be very short, and the farther north you get the more weather can become a factor.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:25 PM

Cathy - If you want to see Hadrian's Wall, I think you will need a car - or to take some type of tour bus. It is not near anyplace except Hexham (which is not big.) The closest large city is Durham. It is quite a trip from York.