Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Castelnau de Montmiral or Najac (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/castelnau-de-montmiral-or-najac-404207/)

sempre_diritto Feb 27th, 2004 06:29 AM

Castelnau de Montmiral or Najac

I am trying to decide whether to stay in Castelnau de Montmiral at the La Croix du Sud or in Najac at L'oustal del Berry. I had considered Cordes-sur-Ceil at the Hostellerie Viex Cordes but since have rejected it.
It would appear that Castelnau de Montmiral is more centrally located for day trips than Najac.
Would appreciate any input about these places from those who have visited this area in the past.

StCirq Feb 27th, 2004 09:19 AM

What is it you are interested in visiting? While Castelnau-de-Montmiral is one of my very favorite places in that region, it isn't centrally located for visiting much of anything -at least anything very well known. It's also a one-horse town - one hotel, one restaurant, one café. That's very appealing on one level, but consider that Najac is a considerably larger place with more commerce, if that makes a difference to you.

Maybe if you gave us some more information about your itinerary and what you're interested in doing in that area, we could make better suggestions. I've spent a fair amount of time in that area in the past two years and find it very intriguing.

sempre_diritto Feb 27th, 2004 10:39 AM

We will be doing one of our six week trips thru France and Italy. I thought we would stop in the area for a couple of days after leaving St Emilion toward Provence. We are interested in visiting Albi, Cordes, and the small villages in the area. We ruled out staying in Cordes because of the hassle with a car.
Actually, all the towns in the area appear to be within about a half hour of each other. I guess lodging would also be a criteria. We sort of just hang loose. Hope this helps.

StCirq Feb 27th, 2004 11:01 AM

Well, I agree about Cordes. Was there back in October, and never again...too many other fascinating places around that area to be bothered with the parking problems, the crowds, and the cheap souvenir stores. Castelnaud-de-Montmiral is what Cordes must've been like 80 years ago, and I love that.

But Najac is also worthwhile. It's got more commerce, as I mentioned, and a few sites to visit while you're there.

You're right that the towns are close to each other; on the other hand, it's not a part of France where you can make particularly good time driving - small roads, and one truck can hold you up for a long time.

Albi's a wonderful town. And all those small towns between it and Carcassonne - Revel, Graulhet, Gaillac, St-Férréol, etc. - are worth at least a brief stop.

sempre_diritto Feb 27th, 2004 11:31 AM

I think we will settle for Najac and the L'oustal de Berry hotel. Heard good reviews of their restaurant and it is a Logis de France hotel which we found to be a good choice during previous trips thru small towns in France.
Thanks StCirq for the info.

JEFF_ Feb 27th, 2004 12:07 PM

St Circ, this gives me even more places to consider on my itinerary from Albi to Sarlat. You suggested going to Castelnaud-de-Montmiral through Bruniquel and Montricoux to Caussade. Then to Sarlat via Cahors and Goudon. Is Najac or Villefranche-de-Rouergue worth a detour? There's probably more to see than I'll have time for. I don't want to try to do too much, but I also don't want to miss any real gems.

StCirq Feb 27th, 2004 12:18 PM

JEFF: Admittedly there is an amazing amount to be seen in the area, and most of it refreshingly untrammeled, but I'd stick with your current itinerary. I would not go out of my way to see Najac, and unless you wanted to completely re-plan your trip, taking the Millau/Villefranche-sur-Rouerge/Rodez route, it would be too far to include Villefranche.

You'll just have to plan another trip!

JEFF_ Feb 27th, 2004 12:31 PM

Thanks StCirq. Now I have it in writing. I have an excuse for another trip.