Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome - worth going out of the way for?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:09 AM
Holly

Hello everyone,
I am trying to determine if it would be worth going out of the way for Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome. The problem is that I only have 4 days in Rome, Sat-Tues, and I would like to do the Scavi tour of the Vatican (since everyone says it is a "must do"), which is not offered on Sat/Sun. The Castel is closed on Mondays, which is the day I am planning to schedule the tour with ScalaReale. We could see it over the weekend, after the Piazza Navona, if it's worth seeing. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Holly

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Book Chick

Holly,
I was in Rome in January, and Castel Sant'Angelo was definitely one of the highlights of my visit! I was at the top just as the sun was setting & took some amazing pictures of the Roman skyline, the Vatican in the distance, etc.

Although I knew some of the building's history, it was helpful to have a guide. A group of Italians had just started their tour, & I joined them. I think they have English tours, too, and audio guides.

But to answer your question, I thought it was definitely worth my while & would love to go back there, just for the view of the city, if nothing else.

Buon Viaggio,
BC

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
Thomas

If you like opera, especially TOSCA, It is the location where Tosca jumps to her death upon realizing the betrayal which kills her lover.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Vita

I enjoyed going to Castel Sant'Angelo for the view of Rome and St. Peter's. It's a nice place to catch the sunset and it wasn't highly touristed. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it if you're short on time. There's so much to see and do in Rome. To make the most of your stay, just keep your eyes open the whole time, even as you travel from site to site. Everything's an experience! Cheers.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
Mr. Go

It's an interesting tour of history, as different parts of the Castel were constructed during different eras. And yes, the view from the top is splendid. Remember to wear your walking shoes. Don't miss a walk across the bridge with all the incredible statues... unforgettable!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM
Sherry

Holly, just for your information. The Scavi Tour is offered on Saturday because we have a Saturday afternoon appointment.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Dayle

Hi Holly! We also enjoyed the Castello San Angelo. Yes, the views are incredible and the history of the structure very interesting. You can spend as long or as little as you like, so go!

Buon viaggio!