Cast;es or Farmhouses in Tuscany

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cast;es or Farmhouses in Tuscany

After 5 days in Rome, the next five days of our honeymoon will be in Tuscany. We were told a homebase of a Castle or Farmhouse would be nice...then take a train to Florence, Siena, Pisa and Lucca... we were told the Castello di Meleto and Fattoria di Cosona were nice...any suggestions or ideas?
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you want but try:

www.tuscanhouse.com

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't take the train thru tuscany...drive! you'll be robbing yourselves of the real glory of the hills in a train.

buy some bread and cheese and wine. picnic along a roadside overlooking a valley much the same as it was in rennaisance times.

as for farmhouses check the agritourismo website. for a mini castello check out il maniero outside of assisi.

remember....don't take the train.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at:
www.slowtrav.com
a great source of information on Italy, especially rentals.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:39 AM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My notion of a famrhouse stay and a castle stay are two fairly different things.

Unless you are on an exorbitant budget, a stay in a castle means a stay in a castle HOTEL - - i.e., you are NOT going to have the whole thing to yourself, as you might for a farmhouse.

I haven't looked into information on the places you mentioned; I know several places called "Fattoria di..." and they have houses which range from little bungalows/cottages - - almost one room kind of buildings, as were previously used for farm workers - - to larger ones suitable for 4, 6 or more.

There are a number of self-catering accommodations described as renovated old farmhouses, and many of them are priced by the week, at prices of $2000 to 4 or 5 times that - - because they can sleep 8, 10 or more.

None of this is intended to discourage you from your search. Perhaps some additional information would help in defining what you are looking for (especially if you want self-catering, and the place all to yourselves or not).

Whatever your decision, congratulations on your new life in marriage... and ...

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM
rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
topping, for travelhappy
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at CastleBigozzi for a couple of nights in 2001 and it was the most wonderful place we stayed over three weeks. Next time we will rent one of their apartments for a week. They will negotiate rates if you ask if there's a special. With walls that must be a foot and a half thick, you have plenty of privacy ;-) We had "just" a double room with bath. The bathroom was two rooms and had a jacuzzi tub. heavenly. http://www.chiantiturismo.it/inglese/bigozzi/framebigozzi.htm

You can pick up a car outside of Rome - Orvietto is nice and a cool stop to visit, too - You would need a car to stay at CB, but you are wonderfully positioned for daytrips all over Tuscany (Monteriggioni, San G, Siena, even Florence - to name just a handful.) Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can tell you is we rented next door to a couple from England while in Italy last year. They have travelled to Tuscany for 15 years each year. They had already reserved their place at Castello di Meleto for next year after having checked it out. Again..as in previous posts I would recommend staying someplace where you are in relatively close proximity to goods,services,folks who know the region or area and who speak English. Also pick a place with easy access to the autostrada. I cast my vote with the person who said driving in Tuscany is preferable to the trains. You will have all sorts of time to drive from one town to another. For the most part, if one stays on the autostrada as a means to get from one hilltown to another, it is pretty easy to travel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to stay in a castle try Hotel Della Fortezza (http://www.abitarelastoria.it/en/ope...rtezzahotel.it) in Sorano (very southern Tuscany) you’ll be near Pitigliano, Sovana, Saturnia, and about an hour west of Orvieto. If you want a farmhouse try La Crociona (http://www.lacrociona.com/)
Within a half-hour is
Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Sant Antimo, Monte Oliveto
Maggiore, Buonconvento, Murlo. But everything depends on where you want to be. Pick a location then look for lodging in that area. By the way you don’t have to be near the autostrada unless you plan on making very long trips. Roads like State Strada 2 (cassia) will get you to many tourists spots with little hassle. If you want more info e-mail me [email protected]