Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

cassis hotel -- jardin d'emile or mahogany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Cassis for two nights in early August and are trying to decide between these two hotels. Anyone stayed in either and can make a recommendation? Or, if you know of other good place to stay, please advise. We'd like a high quality spot with AC, a view, and good location in the village. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM

We stayed at jardin d'emile and loved it. It is on it's own on the hill that seperates the two beaches. The smaller one (sorry I forget the name) was in front of d'emile. Despite being a rounded rock beach vs. sand, we enjoyed it immensely. Great swimming, etc.

As for the hotel, there is plenty of parking and I think it has a much nicer setting than the other hotel. The rooms aren't extremely fancy - but if you book the one with the terrace overlooking the water - it's amazing!!! It's also less expensive.

If you have another other specific questions just ask. HOw long are you staying there? If you're staying for a week I'd recommend renting an apartment. There are a few in teh main harbour that look great!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! Was your room a "terrace" or "balcony" sea view room? (I'm assuming the balcony rooms are on a higher floor?) Do you know if all the sea view rooms are equally good? And how are the bathrooms? (I'm probably more picky about bathrooms and bedspreads than anything else!!)

Also, we are only there for 2 nights and mainly want to check out the calanques -- any advice on doing so? Are the boat trips good?

Anyone out there ever stay in the Mahogany? I'd still love to hear about anyone experience with that hotel...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:56 AM

The boattrips in the Calanques are really worthwhile. You can do either 3, 5 or 8 calanques - see http://www.calanques-cassis.com/
If you have a car, you simply must drive the Route des Calanques. The views from above are spectacular. You can read about it on http://mcalanques.free.fr/pratique.html(in French).
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those two Calanques links -- really does look incredible. Are the Calanque beach just packed in high season? -- the photos always make them look like you'd have the place nearly to yourself, but that's just too hard to believe.

Any other Cassis hotel thoughts out there?

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM

We have been there in June and it was very quiet, even in the little harbour of Cassis. I liked the place very much.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Hi there,

We had a garden view room, but the sea view rooms were both very nice...we peeked in when they were being cleaned. I'd ask for the one with the large terrace when you email the hotel.

The rooms are clean, have a small fridge and a typical european bathroom (eg. no shower door or curtain). It wasn't fancy, wasn't rustic. I guess I would describe it as an older hotel with modern rooms and decor.

As for the Calanques - we did a boat tour and I would recommend getting off the boat and staying at the Calanque for the day. Warning; there are a lot of restrictions around the time of day you can go to and come back from the Calanques. I'd go the day before you plan on going on the tour and get the details from one of the tour operators in the harbour. They're all the same price and seem to have comparable boats. It really is beautiful!

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I'm having the same question as AbigailM. I already found out that the room with the best sea view at the Jardin is booked during our dates. So I have to decide to take the lesser room there or book the Mahogeny or Les Roches Blances. Any one stayed at either of these?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM

There are two rooms with balcony/terraces facing the ocean. One balcony is smaller than the other.