How to travel europe

Search

How to travel europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to travel europe

i'm going to Europe in may for 4 weeks, so far the plan is london, prague, amsterdam, greece, and italy.
Any suggestions on:
-places to add?
- places to see...like the small stuff, that your average tourist wouldn't know about on their own.
- specifically in Italy, but anywhere, what cities to go to...we're thinking rome, florence, venice, and maybe Tuscany...should we add places like milan, pisa, pompeii, sienna etc?
-travel suggestions--best way to travel by train or air?

we were thinking of maybe adding vienna or brussels--yes/no, one over the other?

All help and suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Yes to all. Seriously, you're all over the place. 4 weeks is not enough time for everything on your list. It would be a very good idea for you to do more research to narrow down your choices to a manageable few before asking for recommendations. And don't forget to factor in travel time between the destinations you've chosen. Guidebooks are a great source of information and can be found in your local library.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Your initial list is already too much to do in 4 weeks, never mind adding places. You need maps and guidebooks and a plan that includes time to travel from place to place.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You start out w/ 3 interesting cities . . . and then lump in two more whole <i>countries</i>

>>we're thinking rome, florence, venice, and maybe Tuscany...should we add places like milan, pisa, pompeii, sienna etc?<<

That alone could easily fill your 4 weeks.

>>we were thinking of maybe adding vienna or brussels<<

Not enough time for your initial list.

A good basic first 4 week overview could look something like: 5 or 6 days in London, 3 days in Amsterdam, 3 days in Prague, almost 2 weeks in Italy (Rome/Florence/Venice and maybe one other) - w/ travel times that would more than fill 4 weeks.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM

You are going in May 2013? Do you have your flights yet? Into where and out of where? That will frame your trip and help you decide where else you can go.

The problem with your list is not so much the number of places (5 places in four weeks is not unreasonable) but the specific places you have chosen are geographically very distant, meaning you really will need to fly between them. Budget flights fill up (and price jumps drastically) the closer to the time you want to go. If you mean this May then you are already less than 60 days out. Unless you have unlimited budget then that is also something to think about.

I would first go to the easyjet.com site and whichbudget.com and a few other intra-European flight sights and see which places you can easily combine for a reasonable price. My guess is you are going to need to drop at least one of those countries.

I've been to most of Western Europe on numerous trips and I still need to get out a map when I start planning a trip. Look at a map, go to those airline sites, and also to raileruope.com (not to buy tickets, but to get an idea of length of train trips between places). Once you have framed out a trip then come back here and you'll get lots of help.