Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cashing American Express Travellers Checks in/around Vicenza

Aug 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm staying for three months in a small town near Vicenza and had to purchase 5.000 euros in American Express Travellers checks.

Could some one please inform if there is a place in Vicenza/Padova/Verona (preferably Vicenza) where I can cash them and get full face value.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Aug 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM

" . . . had to purchase 5.000 euros in American Express Travellers checks."

"had to"? Why was that? Anyway - you will not get "full face value" since there are fees to cash travelers checks.

I am curious - is there a reason you just aren't using an ATM card?
Aug 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Well, actually I am Brazilian and am flying out from Brazil. Bought some euro bills, plus the TC's. Will also use the ATM's (will be 3 months with wife). So the TC's are one of the alternatives I am relying on.

I understand if you cash at Amex's offices you do get the full face value.

I checked their Home page and oddly enough it seems there are only 4 offices in Italy vis a vis more than a dozen in Paris alone.

Aug 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM

You've already lost value by buying them and will lose more when cashing them, even if you can find an AMEX office near you. AMEX is not a charitable organization.
Aug 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Hello jfcarli, as far as I know the nearest office would be in Venice. The address is 1470 San Marco.

When in the Piazza San Marco exit through the west enterance/exit of the piazza. Keep walking west and you will see the Amex office on your right hand side.

I would imagine for the long time you will have in the area you will be visiting Venice so this should work out for you.
Aug 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

More than once, I hope
Aug 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi jf,

Are the TCs in Euro?

If so, you might want to try opening a bank account in Italy.

Also, call AMEX and see if they can recommend a bank near where you are staying that won't charge too much to cash your TCs.

Aug 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi, ira!

Yes they are in euros.

The idea of opening the bank account is what I really would like to do.

Do you know if it is possible for a non-resident foreigner to open a bank account in Italy?
Aug 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Hello fjcarli, I do not know if a non-resident can open a bank account in Italy but if you can be sure to find out the bank charges. Italy is known to have the highest charges in all of the EU.

There will be a monthly charge and there will be a charge when you close the account. I would get the charges in writing. Best regards..and enjoy your time in Italy, I envy you!!
Aug 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM

I don't think an Italian bank account will work, economically. Unfortunately what's done is done and you are sort of stuck.

If you are going to be in Venice a couple of times, you can use the opportunities to cash substantial amounts of the TC's. But then you have to be really, REALLY careful. Carrying a lot of cash is not such a good idea so definitely use a money belt and then a safe back in Vicenza. (but w/ a 3-month stay, maybe you won't have access to a hotel safe)

I'd just forget about saving a few € and cash them at a local bank as needed. (and learn a lesson for next time - TCs are a thing of the past and not very convenient/economical)
Aug 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the kind and prompt replies. Really appreciated.

Seems like the best thing to do is to avoid cashing the TCs as much as possible.
Aug 12th, 2007, 03:31 PM
ira

Hi jf,

>Seems like the best thing to do is to avoid cashing the TCs as much as possible.

Not necessarily. If you take them back to Brazil you will lose money converting them back to local currency.

Try to use them for hotels or apartments, large purchases at department stores, restaurants.

If they are in 100E amounts, you might be able to pay an 80 E resto bill with them and still get 20E change - maybe.

Aug 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I wouldn;t count on using then at stores, restaurants or hotels - no one is going to want them - since they will have to pay their bank a fee to cash them. Also - no one will take them without proof that they're actually your "live" checks - meaning you have to carry a passport - and they have to believe that the checks haven't already been reported stolen.

(That's why an AmEx office is one of the few places willing to take them - they can check if they're still "live".)