Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cash in AE traveller cheques in Prague and Budapest - please advice!

Jul 5th, 2001, 12:48 AM
Rita

I am going to visit Prague and Budapest and have bought the AE traveller cheques in US currency. I would like to know if I cash in the traveller cheques into USD in Prague and Budapest in the AE counter, will they have any commission charge? Besides, am I right that if I cash in into the local currency, there won't be any commission charge?

Jul 5th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Bunny

sorry, I don't know

Jul 6th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Beth Anderson

why wouldn't they charge a commission? and how much could it be - I wouldn't worry overmuch about it.

I would however take an ATM card and less cash.

my .02

Jul 6th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Art

Rita, you will always get a charge either in the form of a commission or in the exchange rate. I never had to use my AE Traveler checks in either Hungary or Czech Repoblic. I used ATM's or visa and had no problems. You most likely would only be able to get local currency. If you got US$ you would then have to go to an exchange to get local currency and so would pay 2 commissions.
Have a great trip, they are both great cities.
Regards,
Art

Jul 6th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Gloria

Hi, Rita
We always take AE trav cks and have never had to pay a commission if cashed at an AE office. You will pay a small fee upfront for them (1$ per 100?) which is better than a commission usually charged. We have used them in 11 Euro countries w/o a charge.
Good luck, happy travels.
Call AE here in the states to find there locations in the country you will be visiting. They are probably online as well.
Gloria

Jul 8th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Debbie

Travelers checks are so much more difficult than just going to the ATM that I no longer get them. There are ATM's everywhere.

Jul 8th, 2001, 09:39 AM
steve

Rita,
Just back from Prague. Go back to your bank and get rid of the travellers checks. There are ATM's all over Prague and is much more convenient. Why try to search for the AE counter when you can just walk up to an ATM and be on your way quickly.

Steve