Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cash and Credit cards in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cash-and-credit-cards-in-paris-1012688/)

Kathie Apr 27th, 2014 12:13 PM

Cash and Credit cards in Paris

A couple of quick practical questions: Do Paris taxis take credit cards? I've done a search and get contradictory information.

Also, (in trying to figure out how many Euros to get from the ATMs on arrival) what kinds of things in Paris require cash as opposed to a credit card?

kerouac Apr 27th, 2014 12:25 PM

Many taxis take cards but not all of them. If you are planning to take a taxi from the airport, for example, you can choose one that takes cards, since customers are allowed to choose any taxi in the queue (much to the annoyance of some drivers).

You can pay for almost anything with a card in Paris, but there are some places that impose a 10 or 15 euro minimum.

denisea Apr 27th, 2014 12:33 PM

I have always paid a taxi in Paris with cash but don't often use a cab. You can use a card for most anything but AMEX is not always accepted. You may have to remind small shops that the card is a signature card (not Chip and PIN) if you are American and don't have a Chip and PIN card, few American banks offer them. Using a credit card is not really a problem in Paris.

You will always want some cash for street vendors, small bakeries, street markets,etc....

We always have a few hundred euro in cash to be safe. We always buy our Metro tickets with coins (maybe you can use a chip and PIN card)? The biggest issue we have is needing smaller bills and many ATMs give you large bills (50 euro) - no one wants to make change.

Sarastro Apr 27th, 2014 12:34 PM

The theory is that all taxis accept credit cards, the practice may differ. If you want to pay with a card, say so before you depart.

As to which might be a preferable or cost effective way to spend your vacation dollars, cash or credit card, ask your bank as it is your bank that charges the fees. For some people, ATM withdrawals cost less than using a credit card.

maxima Apr 27th, 2014 12:44 PM

in order to figure out how many Euros to get from an ATM, you should first figure out a few things: how many days will you be in France/Europe, whether your home bank will charge you a per transaction fee for the ATM, as well as a conversion fee, and the cost of these fees. Nearly all banks in the usa charge a conversion fee, because they can, but depending on your bank or the type of account you have you may or may not pay an atm fee.. I don't believe the banks in Europe charge an atm fee so its only your home bank that will tack on a fee or not. The bank ATM will give you the best rate though, and you will always need some cash. You will not be likely to use a credit card if you are making a small purchase.

Do not use the credit card for cash withdrawal from an atm, as it is considered a loan and will cost a fortune.
some credit cards do not charge a conversion fee (Capital One doesn't) and others do.

regarding taxis, there is usually a minimum amount for the use of credit card. you can ask before you take the taxi

Kathie Apr 27th, 2014 12:52 PM

Thanks, all!

We have ATM cards that charge no per-use fees, reimburse any fees from the local bank and charge just 1% on foreign exchange. We also have credit cards that have no foreign exchange fees. In general, my preference is to use credit cards when practical, as we get points for charges made on the cards.

thursdaysd Apr 27th, 2014 01:10 PM

Are those Cap One cards? You might call them up and complain that they aren't doing chip and pin yet... You can still use signature cards in most places where you are dealing with an actual person, but generally not in machines. If you want a chip and pin card try the Andrews Federal Credit Union.

Robert2533 Apr 27th, 2014 01:19 PM

Apparently this isn't your first adventure abroad, so you know to let your bank and/or credit card company know you will be using your ATM and credit card in France. Otherwise, with the increased security issues, the bank will likely block your cards and you'll be stuck without access to at least some cash.

Are you also aware of the DCC? If not, you need to study up on it before using your credit or ATM card.

Kathie Apr 27th, 2014 01:34 PM

thursdays, these are not Cap One credit cards. Both are from Chase, one a Hyatt card, the other a Marriott card. I complained to Chase that the regular United Chase cards still charge 3%, but they will issue you a special one that doesn't charge for $250. Not that my complaint will do not good! I also asked about chip and pin which is apparently in the works.

Robert, yes, I'm a "seasoned" traveler (read "old") and will, as always, inform my various financial institutions of my travels. Sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to when you write "DCC." I googled it and came up with nothing relevant to travel and credit cards.

Kathie Apr 27th, 2014 01:45 PM

Robert, it just struck me what you meant by DCC - the dynamic conversion scam. Yes, I know about it and won't fall for it. Indeed, I know to check my receipts before I sign to make sure someone hasn't done it without asking.

Patty Apr 27th, 2014 05:09 PM

Someone on another thread also mentioned encountering DCC on an ATM.

I usually just withdraw 100 euros at the airport. Enough for the taxi ride and the first day or so. My bank doesn't charge forex or withdrawal fees so I just withdraw as needed.

Seamus Apr 27th, 2014 05:35 PM

Kathie - I use my cc almost exclusively in Paris, resorting to cash for small purchases like a snack from a vendor or at a street market. Only restaurant I ever encountered that did not accept cc's was Chez Omar on r de Bretagne. My Chase ATM does have a usage fee so I generally withdraw the daily maximum on arrival and usually have some cash left at the end of the week.

Kathie Apr 27th, 2014 05:41 PM

I've never encountered DCC on an ATM. Do you remember, Patty, where that ATM was?

Seamus, I appreciate your report of your experience.

yestravel Apr 27th, 2014 06:00 PM

I have never heard of DCC on an ATM. More information would be appreciated. In Paris we use CC for probably 80% of our expenses. As mentioned some small stores or restaurants are cash only.

Patty Apr 27th, 2014 06:00 PM

It was in this thread http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...port-paris.cfm

I've actually never encountered DCC at an ATM in France but have in other countries. It's just a matter of time.

Patty Apr 27th, 2014 06:06 PM

Where I've encountered it (common at Australian airport ATMs for example), I believe it showed me the converted amount in USD. There is an option to decline.

Robert2533 Apr 27th, 2014 06:32 PM

DCC on ATMs is beginning to be fairly common. Ran into it in Dublin last December (where it all started), northwest Spain in November and this past March in Andalucia. As noted, you can decline the conversion and save the 4% to 5% 'service fee'.

yestravel Apr 27th, 2014 06:51 PM

Guess I should have figured DCC with ATMs would just be money waiting to be made. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll need to keep a watch for it in NW Spain next month,

Robert2533 Apr 27th, 2014 08:37 PM

It shouldn't be a big concern as long as you are aware it can happen.

One thing in regards to using a credit card. American Express is the only company that does not allow DCC. I know it's not accepted everywhere, but I use it when every possible (no foreign transaction fees, no DCC and points).

The following is from The Flight Deal:

How do you avoid being hit with DCC?
If the merchant charges you in your home currency (e.g., US Dollars):
1. Refuse to sign the receipt
2. Have the merchant cancel the transaction
3. Have the merchant re-do the transaction in the local currency. You will run into merchants who pretends to not understand the issue, if that’s the case read below. Keep in mind, a percentage of the 3-7% DCC fee goes to the merchant, so they are incentivized to continue this discriminatory pricing practice for tourists who are least likely to complain.
4. Pay with cash
5. Pay with American Express. While paying with most American Express cards will result in a 2.7% foreign exchange fee (except for American Express Platinum Charge Card and Centurion Cardholders), you will come ahead if the merchant insist that DCC is the only option. American Express does not charge DCC fees or have it as an option.

xyz123 Apr 28th, 2014 01:42 AM

Robert...I would never pay cash. That's out of the question. The whole idea of credit cards is to make travelling not rely on cash. It has been suggested that a self inking rubber stamp with red ink be acquired saying, "Local currency choice not offered." Or write that in. Or print laels with that. Stamp or attach a label to the merchant's copy of the receipt. When you get home, dispute the charge with your bank. Hopefully they will charge it backto the merchant and the merchant will be fined or have his or her mc/visa account closed. Unfortunately, I did that with an Irish burger king where the so called manager rfused to void the sale and do it properly. The total charge was about €8 so I was being ripped off for about 56¢. I complained to the bank and instead of charging it back, they credited my account for 56¢. Boy was I upset that these vermin were allowed to get away with this scam.