Cars in Berlin?

Feb 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Cars in Berlin?

Does anyone know if cars rented in Germany will automatically have the ticket to allow them to be driven into the "Green Zone"? Thinking of picking up a car in Trier and driving to Berlin. The hotel we're thinking of staying at is in the "Green Zone" and without the ticket we'd get a hefty fine. Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Viv
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Why dont you ask the hotel or the rent-a-car agency directly? They certainly can help you.
Feb 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM

The answer is Yes.

The major car rental companies only have cars with the sticker in their fleets.

But: Don't worry if the sticker on your car is not "green". They come in green, yellow, and red, and all of them good for driving in the "green zone" of those cities which have them (more than just Berlin, by the way).
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Once in Berlin you may not need your rental car. Public transport is excellent and frequent. We have stayed twice in Berlin and have not had any need for a car.
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM

hi, wave,

not only wil you not need a car, you won't want one!

the traffic is pretty bad and the public transport is excellent. I particularly like the old parts of the u-bahn where you only have to wealk down a few steps to get on it - not like london with its long staircases and deep tunnels.

and you can always splurge on a cab if you feel the need.

regards, ann
Feb 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Don't worry. Everything will be fine. Just rent your car and drive.

(This comment comes from a German who knows about the regulations.)
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:21 AM

I'm in Prague right now and thinking of driving to Berlin, but I don't think my rental car has the emissions sticker. If I drive to Berlin and park my car in a garage (even if it's inside the Green Zone), is that alright? Have the Berlin police been enforcing this requirement? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jul 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM

In Prague, you should be able to obtain the sticker at the subsidiaries or partners of Dekra:
http://www.usmd.cz/stk_plakety2.php
Maybe your hotel can tell you if one of the checkpoints or shops is in the neighborhood.

General information:
http://tinyurl.com/6zhcvu
Jul 18th, 2008, 03:09 AM

Unlike annhg, my recollections of Berlin was that traffic was the lightest I'd seen in a major city in Europe, or the US, and that traffic was quite orderly and roadways were wide and straightforward. I mainly stayed in East Berlin.

I agree that public transportation is incredibly convenient and goes everywhere one could possibly need to go in the city. Three separate times, however, I found it hard to locate a cab.

I wouldn't bring a car to Berlin (I think) unless my Berlin stay came in the middle of my driving trip, but it didn't look like it was hard to drive in Berlin. I don't know what it's like to park.
Jul 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM

I don't know why anyone in the whole country even needs a car! Having just returned from 2 weeks in Germany, I was so impressed by the public transportation.

I was with a German friend in Berlin who had a car and the parking was a nightmare. He put the car in a parking garage and we took the subway everywhere. Easy and inexpensive.

Search this Thread