Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Carryon Restrictions Changed-Flts FROM UK (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/carryon-restrictions-changed-flts-from-uk-647993/)

Lori Sep 21st, 2006 05:49 AM

Carryon Restrictions Changed-Flts FROM UK

I just found this on the British Airways website: (of particular note is that solid cosmetics may now be taken on as carryon.

The UK government’s Department for Transport has today announced revisions to restrictions in place for hand baggage allowed to be carried on all UK departing flights.

The new restrictions will be implemented by airports around the UK from tomorrow, Friday September 22, 2006.

The changes mean customers will now be able to carry with them a larger industry standard-sized bag, no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including handles, wheels and side pockets.

Customers who need to carry with them musical instruments, may now take them through security, provided they can be x-rayed.

Restrictions on liquids remain.

Customers may NOT carry the following items through security in their cabin bag.
· Liquid cosmetics. Solid cosmetics may now be taken in cabin bag
· All toiletries
· All liquids
· All drinks

carylspall Sep 21st, 2006 07:10 AM

Thats great news! Thanks Lori.
Ive been checking every day for this news announcement on TV and was so busy packing for my trip today - I forgot to check!

PatrickLondon Sep 21st, 2006 07:43 AM

The power of music...

See:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/airlines/s...871988,00.html
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...869495,00.html

alanRow Sep 21st, 2006 08:35 AM

However these are the MAXIMUM sizes allowed by the UK on flights out of the UK.

Some airlines may not give you that maximum size.

For example Ryanair allows hand luggage on all of it's flights (not just from the UK) of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm which is 2 inches smaller in 2 of the dimensions

Christina Sep 21st, 2006 09:00 AM

That's kind of a silly list since it says you can carry on solid "cosmetics" but no "toiletries". This makes no sense, why could you carry on a solid cosmetic but not a solid toiletry. Maybe they have some unusual definition of toiletry in UK that I don't understand (and men's things would usually be called a toiletry rather than cosmetic no matter what, for macho reasons).

For example, a solid deodorant stick would be no different than many solid cosmetics. And what about soap -- I think that's a toiletry, and can't imagine why you couldn't carry on a bar of soap, but you could a solid cosmetic (and how solid is solid--is that solely something like a cake of powder eye shadow, or is a lipstick considered "solid"?). I guess it would be compared to a liquid or gel IMO, but it's not solid like a rock.

Powder shampoo is certainly a toiletry, but isn't liquid or gel at all and no different than face powder in texture. Same for tooth powder.

jody Sep 21st, 2006 09:18 AM

I agree with Christina..what constitutes a "toiletry"?

flanneruk Sep 21st, 2006 09:34 AM

When will people learn to look at primary sources before getting all huffed up?

Lori - or maybe BA - is just wrong. There's no mention of "toiletries" in the rules. Which aren't set by airlines but by the DfT, and are perfectly clearly set out at:

http://tinyurl.co.uk/r3zc

alanRow Sep 21st, 2006 09:43 AM

Flights to the US

Passengers boarding flights to the USA and items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

So how does that gel (cough) with reports of folk buying duty free liquids and getting it delivered to the gate?

CarolA Sep 21st, 2006 11:21 AM

As I understand it, you pick up the Duty Free AFTER the secondary screening and as long as it's in the "duty free" bag it's OK.

So buy your liquid makeup at duty free?

Lori Sep 21st, 2006 11:29 AM

I copied my original posting from the BA website, they said it is the UK Dept. of Transport that announced these revisions.

I agree there needs to be a clear list of what is considered cosmetic and what is toiletries in their opinion. Actually the TSA (US) list is not particularly good either. Hard to believe that no one in either gov. realizes that a comprehensive list of actual kinds of cosmetics, etc. would be helpful.

As for solid cosmetics, if the UK is going along with US regulations, it will be ok to take tube lipstick, compact powder & blusher, eyebrow pencil. No liquid makeup, hairspray, and still no mascara. None of this is actually "spelled out" anyplace tho.

As for toiletries, I am guessing they mean shampoo, hair conditioner, hair gels, shaving cream, deodorant (but again, the US allows solid deordorant) .. it's a crap shoot as to what is really allowed, but at least they are finally allowing some cosmetics :-)

alanRow Sep 21st, 2006 11:34 AM

the ONLY change in the regulations is the size of hand luggage, if it was banned before it stays banned

Lori Sep 21st, 2006 11:34 AM

BA's Website now says the following:

REVISED HAND BAGGAGE RULES FOR UK DEPARTING FLIGHTS

British Airways is implementing revised measures, introduced by the UK government's Department for Transport, with effect from Friday September 22, 2006.

The new measures allow all air travellers departing from a UK airport to carry onboard ONE larger industry standard-sized bag, no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.

In addition, customers who need to carry with them musical instruments may now carry them through security search provided they can be x-rayed.

Customers travelling on Thursday September 21, 2006 must comply with current restrictions on cabin bag size which allows customers to carry with them one bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm.

Restrictions still apply on items allowed through security carried in a cabin bag.

The following items must NOT be carried in the cabin bag:

Liquid cosmetics
All toiletries
All liquids
All drinks
Cigarette lighters must not be carried through security. They may be purchased airside and carried onto an aircraft on the person, except for flights to the USA. They must not be carried in a cabin bag.

Items previously prohibited in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried onboard.

Cabin bags MAY contain the following:

Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, MP3 players, portable music and DVD players, digital and film cameras, video cameras.
Essential medicines in liquid form, in quantities of less than 50ml.
Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the accompanying guardian.
Solid cosmetics.
Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books, medicines in non-liquid form, keys, and travel documents may be carried in the cabin bag, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.

Pushchairs and walking aids, including wheelchairs are permitted but must be security screened.

To help progress through the airport all customers are asked to adhere to the restrictions. Failure to do so will significantly delay the security screening process and inconvenience other travellers.

Customers whose bags exceed the permitted dimensions will be asked to check them in and prohibited items will be confiscated by the airport security team,

Electronic equipment such as laptops will be required to be removed from hand baggage and screened separately. We recommend these items be packed carefully for easy removal at the security search point.

Customers may purchase any item in store in the departure lounge before departing their final UK airport and take onto the aircraft as normal, unless they are travelling to the USA.

Extra restrictions are in place for customers travelling to the USA from the UK. Customers WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departure lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food and beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

Customers transferring through the UK
Customers transferring through the UK will be subject to the same hand baggage restrictions as those starting their journey from a UK airport.

If you arrive into the UK to connect with a British Airways flight (irrespective of original carrier) with more than one industry standard sized bag (56cm x 45cm x 25cm) or with prohibited items, you may be asked to check additional items into the hold, significantly delaying your onward journey.

Customers transferring through a UK airport onto another flight must not buy any prohibited items such as cosmetics and toiletries until they have cleared security for their final departure from a UK airport.

Angela_m Sep 21st, 2006 11:40 AM

Now I'm really confused. We just packed for our trip with a connection at LHR. Can I or can I not take my makeup in my carryon as long it is not liquid? I use a stick foundation -- is that considered solid?

alanRow Sep 21st, 2006 11:45 AM

Like I say all that has changed is the size of bag allowed - NOTHING ELSE - so a trawl of all the other postings on "what can I can carry as hand luggage" would be a good idea

Lori Sep 21st, 2006 12:16 PM

Alan,
Previously the site said "no cosmetics" meaning nothing. Now they are saying solid cosmetics are allowed. That is a change.

Christina Sep 21st, 2006 12:54 PM

yeah, it is definitely a change from that.

Actually, if that is the full document, I realized there seems to be a gaping loophole in it. All it says it you can't put those things in your carryon baggage, but it doesn't say you can't have them in your pockets, for example. It says you can't buy something in the airport shops after security and put it on your body, but it doesn't say anywhere you can't carry a solid toiletry on your person that you bring in from the outside, does it? Some of those rules are a little odd, and it almost makes it sound like they don't mind if it's in your pockets but not in your bag -- like the lighters you can buy and have in your pocket but not in your bag.

Unless there is some other section not quoted above that refers to things banned from your person, not just carryon. I know weapons and flammable things always are, but can you slip a stick of deodorant in your pocket?

well, I'm not going to/from the UK in the foreseeable future, that's for sure, I don't think any other airport is as strict as they are on these items.

alanRow Sep 21st, 2006 01:00 PM

From the official link

< Liquids

NO CHANGE. Restrictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following items:

* Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted.
* Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc. >

LucieV Sep 21st, 2006 02:07 PM

This is probably a way-dumb question, but...are vitamins allowed in carry-on? Because we're taking 5 !#@$%*! flights to get from SFO to Milan, and we really do NOT want to check our bags, especially since we're packing ridiculously lightly (1 small backpack each). We're in our 50s and we need our stupid vitamins.

Holly_uncasdewar Sep 21st, 2006 02:56 PM

5 flights to get from San Francisco to Milan? Where on earth are you going???

LucieV Sep 21st, 2006 05:30 PM

GOOD question, Holly! Well...see...we're using our Mileage Plus...and, typical of our procrastinating selves, we didn't decide to go on this trip (celebrating our 30th anniversary) until a month ago -- which is way too late to take advantage of free miles. Anyway, we consider ourselves lucky to be getting free transportation, despite the seven million hours in the air (AND we *are* flying first class, so it won't be so bad!)

BTW, I called TSA and they gave me all the answers to my questions. Go to the website for the phone #. The guy was really helpful, patient, nice, etc. I'm totally relieved!