Carrying China home on Plane

Feb 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Carrying China home on Plane

I haven't bought china in Europe lately but I plan to buy some on my next trip. Several years ago, I just carried (carefully) a dozen plates with me onto the plane. However, with all the security changes, I'm wondering if I'm allowed to do that now. Any advice or suggestions?? Thank you.
Feb 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM

It's been several years since I did this but I remember the store packed it well and put a handle on the box.

It was heavy and it may end up being your only piece of carry-on, depending on the whims of the airline on the day.

I don't think it would set off any bells and whistles but as always, be prepared to open it to show to Security. And, size has to conform to whatever the airline allows for carry-on.
Feb 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Several years ago I bought a few pieces at Harrods and, to tote it, bought a Harrod's foldable cooler. It was nylon on the outside and padded vinyl on the inside (the kind that would hold a couple of six packs). It had a nice over the shoulder strap and made it really easy tp tote on board.

Last fall we bought a large stained glass window at a Paris flea market and ended up going to a box store in the 14th, buying a blanket=type wrap, then bubble, then lots of tape and, finally rigged a bungee handle. What a pain it was, but it made it home.

I would recommend the padded cooler route!
Feb 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM

I used a padded cooler and bubble wrap (I bought with me) to bring a lot of white ware home from Paris. Worked great. A pain to drag through the airport, on the plane, etc., but worth it. Prices for Revol are much lower in Paris, and the selection is far more extensive, but shipping it home would have offset any savings.
Feb 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Hi

We've done this before, no problems. You're entitled to 7kg each carry on generally but more if you're flying Business or First class. So if you're travelling with a partner that totals at leat 14kg - quite generous. As other posters suggested pack it right. Store plates flat.
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:13 AM

My wife doesn't do this any more because we don't have any cabinet or cupboard space left, but when she was traveling regularly to the UK on business, she brought back a ton of china, modern and antique, just by wrapping it in clothes in a hard-sided suitcase, which she checked. Never had as much as a crack, but she made sure that everything was cushioned well but could not otherwise shift around.

Search this Thread