Carry-on luggage for flight to Europe

Jun 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Carry-on luggage for flight to Europe

We're flying SAS business class to Europe and their baggage allowance for carry on is 2 hand pieces not to exceed 8 kgs each. I prefer to take 1 wheeled suitcase, but don't see how I could possibly meet that weight allowance of 8 kg. Would prefer not to check luggage. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
rex

I think that thre are more-or-less "wheeled duffel" bags that function very much like a rollaboard, when filled (i.e., with 10-15 kg of stuff). You could take it, relatively emoty (weighing less than 8 kg, half filled), and another separate ultra-lightweight nylon duffel (just a step above a pillow case in weight), also containing 7-ish kg of stuff.

Anywhere other than in the airport itself, you put the lightweight duffel inside the half-filled wheeled duffel - - and you're mobile, the way you want to be.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 5th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex, that sounds like a good idea to explore. Anyone else have other ideas or brands of wheeled duffels to look into?
Jun 5th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Business class often allows more leniency on weight and amount. Might check on it.
Jun 5th, 2006, 06:16 AM

This means the entire thing, with contents, cannot exceed 17.6 pounds...and WHAT are the size restrictions for these pieces? If they really DO enforce these requirements then I would think they will do so for both weight and size.

Personally, I have found that the "enforcement" depends on a LOT of factors, sometimes including the "mood" of the gate agent.

I'd bring my own rollaboard and with everything in it..if they force you to check it at the jetway at least you'll KNOW it is on the same plane.
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM
rex

<< This means the entire thing, with contents, cannot exceed 17.6 pounds... >>

Not the way I would understand what is stated in the original posting. "Two hand pieces of 8 kg each".

To me, that means that each piece could weigh 17.6 pounds, or 35.2 pounds total.

It's odd to have the allowance "divided" beteen two pieces like this, but they probably rarely encounter any one with relatively equal (weight) hand luggage.

For me personally, it would be my laptop (case; and it would be stuffed with a fair amount of other stuff, like books), and the ultra-lightweight duffel. While I would find it annoying to not have my rollaboard, I could deal with it. I would personally still take a rollaboard (as checked baggage), relatively under-packed, so thatI could consolidate "back" to one rolling, and one shoulder-strapped bag - - once I left the airport.

It seems like you need some inout from someone who has specifically flown SAS business class.

I would re-post with "hand luggage allowance on SAS in business class" in the message header, to attract replies from someone with the specific experience you need.
Jun 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Good idea to re post with title suggested by Rex. I got the info off the SAS web site and confirmed on the phone. Quote from SAS site
"Cabin baggage: 1 piece, 8kg (18lb), 115cm (55+40+23), 2 pieces in business class on intercontinental routes.."
I agree that enforcement often depends on who checks you in as well as who's at the gate. My experience on flights to Europe is that it is at check-in, which is required for foreign flights, that's where u get stopped. So checking prior to boarding the plane my not happen.
Jun 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I woudl also post on flyertalk.com - probably someone there who has done SAS Europe in the last month or so
Jun 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM

You're allowed 2 pieces weighing up to 17 pounds plus a personal item. You're flying Business class so your checked baggage gets priority handling. Check a bag, get a piece of luggage that has no weight ..I have a Le Sportsac bag that weighs less than 10 oz. and holds as much as a 22" rollaboard, I can loop it over the handle of my larger checked piece. Even if you are a man, you can carry a personal item that will hold a lot of heavier stuff..my DH has an Orvis canvas fishing bag that can hold books, cameras , change of clothes ,toilet kit and other junk.

Unless you are going for months at a time you should be able to get more than enough stuff in those.
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Rex -- the idea of checking the rollaboard relatively empty might work. I do want something with rollers for all the running around on the trip.
Wombat7 -- Thanks for the good idea to post on flyer talk.
Jody -- Glad to hear it's 2 pieces plus a personal item. I missed that. I like the idea about the Le Sportsac. I have a baggalini fold-up that might work also. Appreciate your thoughts on biz class being given priority handling, but I just prefer not to check luggage whether it's in business class or coach.