Carry le Rouet, Sausset les Pins ,Martigues

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still fussing over those two extra nights, May 25 and 26, before heading back to cdg. Have decided I want to stay in Provence or Languedoc, not go north.

Turns out I have a friend with a B+B in Carry le Rouet which is near those two other places that I list in the topic title. Carry Le Rouet is located 35 kilometers from Marseilles and 40 kilometers from Aix en Provence

Since I live full time in a dry mountainous area far from the sea I thought maybe some sea air before heading home would be nice. Has anyone heard of or been to any of these places and what do you think of them? In lieu of going to Carry le Rouet, any other suggestions for a pleasant seaside place for only two nights not too far from Avignon.

By the way, the gypsy festival in Saintes Maries de la Mer, will be 24 + 25 May. Is that to be avoided? I've always been fascinating with that event but hear that it is extremely crowded and a little insane. I still would like to go. What thinks you all?
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM

We enjoyed the gypsy festival very much. Don't miss the chance for outstanding photo ops. Yes, it will be crowded but I loved it. Go early and try to find a parking place as far outside of town as you can, preferrably headed in the direction you want to go to go home. Then relax and plan to just enjoy.
I once found a house to rent in Carry Le Rouet. It looked absolutely beautiful with a long sandy beach. The perfect place to relax but my husband wasn't impressed since we are retired. Said he didn't need to get away from it all. (To weaken my case even further, we lived at the beach in So. Calif.) I'd still like to go. Have a great time. CJ
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Oh Carol Jean, you are a find! They will carry the Virgin in from the sea and I want to see that. Is that the first day? What time is early? And how far out of town to park km wise?
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM

I will get my husband to look in his journal and get back to you.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you CarolJean.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Justine
I checked the journal and don't have too much info. We went in the morning, walked around and had lunch. Then went to the square where people were gathering. Then the procession, led by Guardians (on horseback) came from the church and proceeded to the shallow water. St Sarah is the one carried to the sea, where she (presumably) arrived with the two Marys. Then they take her back to the church. I think they do it both days - obviously it is in the afternoon.
Can't be specific about how early or how many kms. out of town. You can tell by the traffic when to stop and park. Just don't go into town, it is gridlock. Try googling Gypsy Pilgrimage - Les Sts Maries and see what you get. There may be lots of info. But, by all means, go. It is quite an experience. Have fun, CJ
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM

I have stayed in Sausset le Pins a number of times. It was a good overnight stop off place when sailing from Languedoc to Cote d'Azur.

It is a gentil holiday resort with a few restaurants near the harbour.

The only downside was that one of the crew joined us here and had his car towed away - he left it on 11-Jul exactly where the fireworks and concert were to be held on the 14-Jul.

Remember that many of these places are now viewable with google street view :

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...352.65,,2,8.25

Peter
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter and CarolJean:
The google street view is very helpful--hence,

we've decided not to decide about those last 3 days and just see where the travel spirit leads us. We can always stay on at the villa if we want.

And caroljean I'm goin'! I can't wait. I will probably wear a money belt that day so I'm not carrying a bag--just a small camera. It's been a desire for a long time to see the gypsies carry the Black Madonna in from the sea. 25 years ago or more my Mother and I happened upon Saintes Marie de la Mer one afternoon; we liked the sleepy beachy feeling of it. All I remember is a big beach, everything was very bright and white. We didn't stay long but I have always wanted to go back. Like everywhere else in the world no doubt it has changed quite a bit since then.