Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Carrigeen Castle? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/carrigeen-castle-171186/)

Karen Mar 12th, 2002 06:13 PM

Carrigeen Castle?

Has anyone stayed at Carrigeen Castle in Co. Tipperary, Ireland? It's the one on the cover of the Frommer's on $45/day book. We're booked there in June. Also, my mom and I are taking this trip together and our plan is to fly into Shannon, drive around the southern end of the country then a week later fly out of Dublin. We're definitely planning on visiting Dingle and Cahir/Rock of Cashel. Any advice on other "culture vulture" sights not to miss in the middle/southern half of the country? I've seen Bunratty & Blarney on a whirlwind tour a few years ago. <BR><BR>Your input is appreciated!<BR><BR>Karen

QT Mar 12th, 2002 09:04 PM

http://pub73.ezboard.com/firelandyes...picID=85.topic

Bill Mar 13th, 2002 11:52 AM

Since you'll be there at a busier time of year, try the ring of Bearra (just south of ring of Kerry) or Mizen peninsula. These are less discovered areas of the SW and equally beautiful.<BR><BR>Bill

Karen Mar 14th, 2002 03:18 AM

QT, thanks for your reply. That discussion answered a lot of questions!<BR><BR>Karen

JFM Mar 14th, 2002 04:02 AM

My husband and I stayed one night at the Carrigeen Castle and loved it. The woman who owns and runs it is a fantastic resource. She will point you to a traditional Irsih show called Boru Boru (I am 99% sure that is the name) near the Rock of Cashel....don't miss it and make sure you stay afterwards...it was one of our favorite things. The castle to stay in was very neat, let her tell you the history, etc.<BR><BR>Enjoy it! I can't wait to get back!

marylousie Mar 16th, 2002 11:16 AM

Hi Karen!<BR>We went the same direction as you are planning and stayed at Carrigeen Castle as a stop over between the West Coast and Dublin. It's actually an old jail or "gaol" (not sure if I spelled that correctly!)But it a neat place to stay! <BR>It was spotless and comfortable. We walked over to see Cahir Castle (very interesting), and were disappointed not to have planned ahead (time-wise) to go to Boru-Boru right nearby. (We were traveling with our children and every one was too tired when we arrived for our one night stay). It was a good location for seeing the Rock of Cashel. The building and grounds were very interesting and our rooms and the food were quite adequate. Before we left I'd seen one or two comments here and there while researching our trip, that the owner was not as nice as she could be. We found her pleasant and helpful enough but she runs a tight ship and would probably not be flexible about policy! Her personality comes through in the way everything in and out of the B&B is spotless and tidy.We had no problems with her or anyone there.<BR>I would not hesitate to stay there again. They have a website:www.tipp.ie/butlerca.htm#carrigeenpg <BR>Have a wonderful trip!<BR>marylouise

marylouise Mar 16th, 2002 11:35 AM

Karen<BR>I read QT's recommended site after my prior posting. I laughed because it made me recall our stay. We did sense that Mrs. Butler was strict and we teased our children that they'd better eat all their breakfast that they ordered or else...all in good fun, of course. I think if you look at it in the context of an interesting building that's clean and adequate, it's inexpensive, and it's quite near several well worth seeing sites...Cahir Castle, the Swiss House, Boru Boru, and Rock of Cashel. Staying in a real castle...from what I've seen...would be way out of our budget! But this was interesting and affordable. If you do saty there...just keep your conversation with Mrs Butler to a minimum!! Have fun!

Karen Mar 16th, 2002 12:13 PM

Mary Louise, thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experience. There seems to be quite a lot to do in County Tipperary so we scheduled two days there.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Karen

raisincane May 7th, 2004 01:18 PM

Just back from 11 wonderful days in Ireland. Beautiful country, wonderful people. Except for Carrigeen Castle. The B&amp;B is clean &amp; tidy, rooms &amp; food were adequate.Interesting old prison with lots of history. But the owner Mrs. Butler is NOT NICE... Three couples were there when we were (None with children) representing Germany, Austrialia, and the USA, None of us could say or do anything to suit her. Be careful Mrs. Butler will try to lead your conversations into a WAR Zone. Must have been a bad day for her ( One of many I would guess). Ireland is a wonderful place to visit, friendly people, good food and lots of history. I would avoid Carrigeen Castle and find lodging elsewhere.

MaryZ May 9th, 2004 05:35 AM

I've always been curious about how an old prison has become Carrigeen Castle?

davidjay Sep 13th, 2004 08:14 AM

Mary, it's legitimate to call it Carrigeen Castle, as the townland address is Carrigeen and the oldest part of the building was a castle, before being extended as the town bridewell or gaol - see town history on the web, or the helpful brochure when you stay there.

Have stayed there twice, and can't understand how people would not like a well-run B&amp;B automatically, I mean, isn't cleanliness everything? Peig Butler is a font of knowledge, as one posting said &quot;a great resource!&quot;. Her son David is also, particularly on history and genealogy - he holds a doctorate from an Irish university and works at one also.

The breakfasts are very hearty, and Peig's homemade brown bread and raspberry jam are out of this world! The breakfast room is huge, about 30' by 20', and there is a separate reading room and lounge for guests - a first in an Irish B&amp;B I would say.

The Butlers do make sure you understand everything, and attend to the smallest detail - way above the call of duty. So many Irish B&amp;B's give you the key in your room, and don't even show you where the breakfast room is!!! I would say over half of the ones I stayed in anyway - of course, Carrigeen Castle is so spacious, one would want to know anyway, and not get lost! The standard rooms are to be recommended for their cost-effectiveness and views, and character - my, the only prison castle in Ireland where one can sleep without having committed any crime. They are prominent in Frommer Ireland (were on the front page for the mid-1990s), and have had rave reviews in The New York Times, and several French, German, Italian and Swedish newspapers/publications. Not to be missed!!!

wojazz3 Sep 13th, 2004 08:45 AM

David:

Any reason why you resurrected three old threads on Carrigeen?

Bill

davidjay Sep 13th, 2004 08:50 AM

Hi Bill,

Yes, I was shocked at the level of discussion going on, and wanted to add my experiences, as they are going back a number of years, and thats rare enough! I think one needs a second visit to fully appreciate any home or resort, and some of the comments are quite unusual - not just about Carrigeen. You seem quite a regular contributer to this yourself!

wojazz3 Sep 13th, 2004 10:28 AM

Hi David:

I seem to be a pretty regular poster to this board, usually on topics related to Ireland, ocassionally the UK. The reason that I asked that question is that, in taking a quick look, you've posted to seven threads on Fodors, all of them concerning Carrigeen Castle with no other mention of any other Irish B&amp;Bs. It is likely that your posts will be considered &quot;promotional&quot; which is not allowed on Fodors. Glowing reports of a single establishment with no other touring content is a tell tale sign of a post contributed for economic gain.

Bill

mealdridge Sep 13th, 2004 11:07 AM

I suppose it's coincidence, but Carrigeen Castle has a yahoo.co.uk email address as does the OP.

davidjay Sep 13th, 2004 11:22 AM

gosh, a coincidence indeed. I wonder is that why another reader thought the Butler family were British? Yes, as you Bill had posted a few times on the same B&amp;B, and also a few female visitors to the site, I thought I should do the same. I think one stream quite enough, but it seems quite a few go parallel!

mealdridge Sep 13th, 2004 11:41 AM

Davidjay,
To clarify my position...Carrigeen Castle was my very first B&amp;B experience in Ireland in 2001. We had NO problem whatsoever and enjoyed our one night stay tremendously. I, too, just find your postings a bit suspect.

davidjay Sep 13th, 2004 11:57 AM

no problem at all - glad you had a good first experience, just wanted to share my experiences of the place, and thought the way to do it was write in all conversations ongoing! Now that I have the hang of this system (didn't know what a thread was!), I've posted another 3/4 B&amp;B's on Fodors, but in the relevant Irish B&amp;B recommendations site, not in this one dedicated to one B&amp;B. Happy reading!

IrishMann Sep 13th, 2004 05:44 PM

Quote---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peig Butler is a font of knowledge, as one posting said &quot;a great resource!&quot;. Her son David is also, particularly on history and genealogy - he holds a doctorate from an Irish university and works at one also.

----------------------------------------

davidjay ([email protected])

Dr. David Butler
University College Cork
Geography
http://www.ucc.ie/
(There is a directory of faculty on the website.)

Could davidjay and Dr. David Butler be one and the same? You can hardly fault him for standing up for his mother. Who would think to measure a breakfast room unless you were ordering a rug or furniture?

davidjay Sep 14th, 2004 02:03 AM

No, indeed if I wanted to hide family connections, don't you think I would have used a pseudonom? The name here is David Jay - Jay is my second name! Isn't that hilarious!?! By the way, that would be Peg's son, though am sure he is now at another facility - and to satisify your curiousity - I'm an architectural historian, and those are rough measurements! Having stayed a few times at Carrigeen, I've met and chatted with the son, (my namesake), David, and he told me the dining room was originally an outdoor yard to exercise prisoners - but a previous generation of the family roofed it as a store. It became used for its present grand function in the B&amp;B era of the building. Might this satisify the &quot;IrishMann&quot; doubting detective!! :)