Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Carnival of Venice? or another city for Day Trip

Carnival of Venice? or another city for Day Trip

Jan 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Carnival of Venice? or another city for Day Trip

I will be in Torino for the Olympics for 4 days and there will be one day that I will not be seeing any events. From looking at the travel guides, I think I can see enough of Torino in 3 days.
The carnival of Venice will be happening at the same time. Has anyone been to this carnival before? Is it worth it to do a day trip from Torino to Venice? (provided I leave very early in the morning and come back very late at night)
Are there any other day trips that one might suggest?
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Verona is a beautiful city. I only was there for a day/night and cannot wait to go back. Lovely piazzas, ancient arena in the midlle of the city and a beautiful river. What more could you want?
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I failed to mention that if you've never seen Venice, I would NOT recommend that you go during Carnivale. It would be jam packed, people everywhere, long queues etc.. I would hate if it ruined your impression of the city. Go back to it another time.
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:41 AM
ira

Hi ap,

It would be great to see Venice at Carnivale. However, it's about 5 hr each way by train.

Jan 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I think the crowds are part of the entire concept of Carnevale, Carnival, Mardi Gras, etc.
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Of course they are Rufus but it seems that for someone who has never been to Venice and has one day that the crowds would prevent them from really seeing the city and inside the basilica.
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM

The Carnivale in Venice is quite an experience, but it is unbeleivably crowded. It is a huge mass of people, many, but not all, dressed in specatular costumes. First, trains to and from Venice may be sold out, get your tickets in advance. There will be a crush of people going from the train station to San Marco square. The very narrow streets will become one way pedestrian streets. There will be bottlenecks of people waiting to go down some streets single file, while in the piazzas there will be more breathing room. At least you won't get lost, just flow with the crowd. I am glad I went and the Carnivale is worth seeing, just be prepared and if you can't stand crowds, don't go. There are a lot of other places to visit closer to Torino like Milan, Bergamo, Brescia, Verona or any of the lake towns which could make good day trips.
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Carnivale in Venice is an extrodinary experience. As a previous poster said, if you can't stand crowds, or want to really see the city with all its charm, it is not the time to go. However, the Carnivale is an event like no other, and if you know what you are in for, go for it, it is great. One more note, it is not an unruly crowd, nor will you see drunken, frightening masses of people. The atmosphere is festive, the costumes spectacular and the people almost always well behaved and friendly.

Search this Thread