Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My husband thinks a week in Rome will be too long

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a family trip to Italy. We have kids ages 15, 13 and 10. I'd like to rent a flat in Rome for a week, then travel to Florence...4 overnights there, but would be traveling the first day and taking a side trip another. My husband thinks that a week in Rome (really only 6 when you factor in jet lag and travel) will be too long, but I think it will be great. It seems like there is SO MUCH to do and see there, and if we want to get out of town, there are lots of day trips we can take.

What do you think, for a first time family visit?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:04 AM

For me, a week would be great. But perhaps your husband just isn't interested that much in Rome?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Three days in Rome is all I can stomach. Much as I appreciate all that Rome has to offer, it's just way too intense, noisy, dirty, and chaotic for me. I have to flee to the hills after three days.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I would love a week in Rome! But maybe some day trips to break it up will help - I love Orvieto, perhaps other people have some good day trip ideas too. That's the only one I have done!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There is more to see in Rome than any place I have ever been. My first visit was five nights with one of my daughters and I came home so excited that the following year I returned with my husband and my other daughter for six nights.

If your husband really runs out of things he wants to do in Rome, you can go to any number of spots for day trips, as you pointed out. I guess the question is why he thinks it will be too long. Is it because he doesn't think there is enough to do there or because he doesn't want to spend so much time in a hectic city?

If it is the former, don't worry. If it is the latter, then maybe it would be best to arrange for more nights out of cities.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I agree that Rome is very intense. But it's because of that that I found staying a week better than a few days. Trying to cram everything into three days exhausted me. Renting an apartment and allowing much more time for sitting in cafes, drinking wine, watching people, relaxing and experiencing la dolce far niente was a much better way to experience the eternal city.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Whenever I go to Rome (on average, once a year), I stay a week. There is so much to see and do; on the other hand, as already stated, you can also enjoy the sweet pleasure of doing nothing (dolce far niente).

If you can tell us what your husband's interests are, perhaps more specific suggestions can be offered.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM

We're staying one week as first time visitors, and I know we won't have enough time! I've already had to eliminate things that would be must sees for some (Villa Borghese) and things I would have liked to have seen/done: day trips to Assisi & Pompeii, many "important" churches like Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, San Luigi dei Francesi, Pope's Angelus address, Time Elevator, exploring Trastevere & Ghetto area, Appian Way & catacombs, Tivoli, Hadrian's Villa, Domus Aurea (--now closed). This is assuming we're all 100% for the sightseeing and the heat of summer, not always the case. We may have to prune a little more.

Current plan:
Day 1 (late pm/evening): wandering Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain
(We're coming from Venice; if we were arriving from abroad, I wouldn't plan on as much because of jet lag, etc.)

Day 2: Campo de'Fiori (am); Underground Rome Tour (pm)

Day 3: Mass (am); half day trip to Ostia Antica

Day 4: San Giovanni in Laterano; Scala Santa; San Clemente (am); San Pietro in Vincoli, Tour Colosseo & Foro (pm)

Day 5: Day trip to Orvieto

Day 6: Papal audience (?) (am) ; Vatican; St. Peter's Tour (pm)

Day 7: Scavi tour(?); Spanish steps, shopping

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I guess I'm in the minority because I found Florence to be much more hectic and congested than Rome, and I don't really find Rome intense in the least. I absolutely love Rome and we are getting ready to make our third visit in March. I think a week would be terrific. There really is so much to see and do. With a week you would really get a feel for the city and all it has too offer.

Tracy
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM

The longer I'm in Rome, the more relaxing I find it. So, ditto to what catbert said. And a semi-ditto to what tcreath has said. I don't find Rome any more dirty or congested than other cities.

But of course, your husband may just not be interested.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM

We spent 4 days in Rome and then spent our final day taking a side trip to Tivoli. While we loved Rome and will go back someday (there is so much still to see!), we needed a break from the intensity of the city.

I don't think a week is too long, as long as you are willing to take breaks as needed.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Aside from all the answers saying that a week is OK, which I confirm, what makes your husband think Rome doesn't deserve a week?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
rex

If he thinks that a week in Rome will be too long, then it probably will be too long for him...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Regarding Day 6 - When I was in Rome a couple of years ago, we did the papal audience, Vatican museum and St. Peter's the same day, and didn't have enough time to do justice to everything. The papal audience was the entire morning for us. While it was a wonderful day, it's also the day I most look back on with regret because we were just so rushed.

I can't for the life of me remember what the closing hours were - I know we had to leave to get to somewhere else, but it seemed that we left St. Peter's as they were ushering the tourists out. I could be totally mistaken, though - but it's still something to think about.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I have made multiple one-week trips to Rome, and STILL haven't seen all there is to see. I agree with the comment made by another a poster that simply because of the amount of things to do and the intensity of the city, having that extra time to relax in between jaunts to various sites is a good thing.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Addendum: I find Rome more exhausting when it's hot.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM

We had our 1st trip to Rome last yr, 6 days, no problem.
We could have used another day or 2 easily. We didn't rush about, so much to see. The kids were happy to stop & sit in cafes.
The Italians were soooooooooo friendly especially to the kids. The city is no dirtier than any other, there is alot of graffiti but we've seen that in so many cities. It can be a bit off putting if you're not used to it but now you know, try not to let it bother you.
Get travel book aimed at the kids and let them help with the planning. Most of all, relax & enjoy a great time with your family
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
ira

Hi M,

I would rather spend a week in Venice.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

A week in Rome isn't enough time for me.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't think you can begin to say a week is too long in Rome. Our first (and only) trip to Italy started in Rome and we were in Rome for a week before going on to Venice, Florence, many hill towns and ending up in Milan. We barely saw everything we wanted to see in Rome and we are planning to go back this year to Italy and will spend a week in Rome before continuing on in Italy.

We LOVED Rome. I guess you need to discuss what you want to see and do and see how the time lays out for you. We like to take our time at places not feel rushed to see something just to say we saw it and run to the next place.

One place I highly recommend is the Borghese Museum. It is a must! The work of Bernini is incredible. My husband and I didn't really know that much about the Borghese when we made our reservations but we were so glad we went. We're going to go back there, too. Those sculptures are unbelievable. You are only allowed two hours in the museum, and that really isn't a lot of time.

Anyway, that's my two cents. No matter how much or how little time you spend in Rome, you'll have a wonderful time. It's all great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -