Reload this Page >

Carnet or Carte Verte in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Jane

We will be in Paris for a week at the end of March. Does anyone know what would be the best choice: should we get a 10 ticket carnet and just replenish as needed (I assume they have no time limit) or get the Carte Verte (I think that's what it is) for one week travel on the Metro? Thanks for any advice you can give. By the way, can you buy these and the Museum pass at ANY metro station?

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:27 PM
StCirq

Which pass you buy, or whether you buy one, depends on the days you'll be in Paris and wqhere you're likely to need to go. The options are: <BR> <BR>Formula 1 carte: one-day pass for specified zones. <BR> <BR>Carte Hebdomadaire: unlimited travel for a week in Zones 1 and 2. <BR> <BR>Week Carte: two trips a days for any consecutive 6 days, any zones. <BR> <BR>Carte Orange: One-month card for all zones. <BR> <BR>Carte Paris Visite: 2-, 3-, or 5-day pass for métro and museums. <BR> <BR>A book of 10 tickets is a carnet, bought at discounted prices. Also, kids (I believe 10 and under) are half price. <BR> <BR>You can buy the passes and métro tickets at any métro stop. If you buy the Carte Musée et Monuments separately from the métro tickets (as opposed to buying the Carte Paris Visite), you can buy it at anay major métro stop, meaning one where two or more lines intersect. You can, of course, also buy it at any of the sites featured on it.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Richard

We always use the carnet, it works for us, and it can be purchased at any ticket booth. Not familiar with Carte Verte, heard of Carte Orange but not sure how it works, zones are involved. When you go through the turnstile, you put your ticket in one end and retrieve it at the other end, once you've passed through. Keep the ticket until you exit the Metro, they will do spot checks. Your Metro ticket is also good for the funicular up to Sacre Couer.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Melissa

The Carte Orange (one week pass) is good on the Metro and bus, but unfortunately it does not run for a consecutive 7 days (from date of purchase). I *think* it only runs from Monday to Sunday. So if you bought it on a Wednesday, it would expire on Sunday and you would have lost out on 3 days worth of using the pass. I remember this little quirk because last time we did this, we had to evaluate if losing out on 2 days of travel was still worth the cost of the card (it was, for the amount of travel we were doing).

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Jane

Thanks for the help in spite of the fact I seem to have goofed and put my question in the Italy section, rather than France. I think I'll stick to the carnet - seems the least complicated. We love to walk and I have no idea how often we will use the Metro or what the zones are. It seems like a pretty good deal. Flexible.