Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Care rental liability insurance (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/care-rental-liability-insurance-386570/)

michellemd Jun 30th, 2008 06:43 AM

Care rental liability insurance

Our trip to Scotland begins this week! We're very excited. While there, we'll be renting (hiring) a car from Enterprise.

Whenever renting a car in the past, my insurance has covered it, but I decided to call to be sure. I'm glad I did call, because I learned it will NOT cover us outside of the U.S. and Canada.

I asked the insurance company if I could have any extra coverage added to my policy, but I'm told there is nothing available.

The credit card company does cover CDW (damage to the rental) but it does not cover liability (I called them as well, just to clarify).

So, it seems that we'll have no choice but to take Enterprise's liability coverage which will add about US$30 per day to our rental costs. I'll gladly pay this if it is our only option. But, I'm just wondering if it truly is our only option?? Does anyone have any advice? Is this just an added cost of traveling internationally that I should have planned for?

Thanks!

michellemd Jun 30th, 2008 06:47 AM

I'm embarrassed! That should be "car rental." Sorry for the typo.

Gretchen Jun 30th, 2008 06:57 AM

YOu should probably check the rental police because usually liability IS included in a foreign rental (at least in France it is), and CDW is not.

ira Jun 30th, 2008 06:58 AM

Hi M,

The rental agency must provide 3rd party liability insurance. It is part of the rental fee.

This covers people and property that are injured or broken by your rental car.

Your CC company usually covers damage to the rental car. Check with your CC company.

>we'll have no choice but to take Enterprise's liability coverage...

What does this "liability coverage" cover?

((I))

michellemd Jun 30th, 2008 07:13 AM

I'm not insurance expert, so if I'm misunderstanding something, someone please tell me.

CDW - covers damage to or theft of the car we hire. In other words, if we damage the car, this insurance would reimburse Enterprise.

Liability - if we are to blame for the accident, this will cover the damage to ANOTHER car or property. In other words, this insurance would reimburse the other driver for damage done to their vehicle.

Considering that we will be driving on the "other" side of the road in a place we are unfamiliar with, we feel the only responsible thing to do is make sure we have liability coverage. Our credit card offers international CDW insurance, but not liability.

The following is what I was quoted from Enterprise. I called yesterday and was told liability insurance would add approximately 15 pounds per day to the cost (= about US$30).

Rate information (all rates in BRITISH POUNDS):
Weekly 2 WEEKS @ 80.00 = 160.00
ROAD FUND LICENSE 12 DAYS @ 1.07 = 12.84
* Subtotal = 172.84
AIRPORT ACCESS FEE 13.00 % = 22.47
VAT 17.50 % = 34.18
Total charges = 229.49
*If you inquired about coverage's or additional driver fees, the rates are not reflective in your estimated total. These fees will be added to your contract at the time of pick up. Additional surcharges, local taxes, etc. may apply.

michellemd Jun 30th, 2008 07:56 AM

An update:

I gave up on calling the U.S. office because they didn't seem to have any answers for me, and called the U.K. office instead.

When I used the phrase "third-party coverage" I was told that yes, that was included in the price I was quoted. So, as far as I can determine, between that and the CDW from American Express, we should be covered.

FlyFish Jun 30th, 2008 08:02 AM

You should check to see if your CC collision coverage also includes coverage for "loss of use." We had a relatively minor scratch on the bumper of a car rented in Scotland last year. The repair charges were several hundred dollars (!), much of which was for [apparently legitimate] charges for the rental company's inability to rent the car while it was in the shop being repaired. My CC, which covered the actual repair costs, specifically excluded the costs for "loss of use." (As an aside, we had taken out travel insurance for medical reasons, and that policy covered the repair costs in full.)

michellemd Jun 30th, 2008 02:06 PM

Thanks for the tip, FlyFish! I did check and thankfully they do cover loss of use. I never would have known to check, though.

azzure Jun 30th, 2008 03:18 PM

Be sure that the name on the CC you use and the "primary renter's" name are the same. In other words, if your credit card is the one used to rent the car, you must also be listed as the primary renter, and your husband as an additional driver (which will likely cost a bit more per day.)

If the primary renter is not the one whose credit card was used to secure the rental, your CDW coverage will be invalidated.