Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How big can the "personal item" be to carry on the plane.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airline allows one 22" suitcase and a personal item, such as laptop, purse, briefcase etc. Would a bag approx. 16x9 be permitted as that personal item?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
J62

In my experience 16x9 is fine. It's not bigger than a briefcase or laptop bag.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM

I just returned from Nice through JFK then to Memphis and another flight on to Shreveport, LA. I carried on a roll aboard 21", a computer case that was over-stuffed, a purse, and a small shopping bag of snacks. No problem at any of the airports. At check in at the Nice airport, the man asked which ones was I carrying on. I replied "all of them" He put tags on all of them except the bag of snacks.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I'm glad you squeaked through, scatcat, but I have to say, the flight attendants really have a tough job when passengers bring on more than allowed, especially on a full flight. On the last several flights I've been on, the FA's have nearly had to smack folks around to get them to put one of their items under the seat in front of them and to NOT put coats up in the overhead until all the bags are in.

I've been known to squeeze my purse (always small) into my knitting bag to make it the one personal item. I think we all need to be considerate of the flight attendants and other passengers.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM

The flight attendants are going to CONTINUE "having a tough job" until the airline they WORK FOR ENFORCES the rules so please stop whining about it.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM

I agree with JanisV: I carry on 1 21" roll aboard, and my laptop bag which doubles as a purse (laptop is usually stowed in the roll aboard so the laptop bag carries purse stuff, paperback book etc. during flight). I would feel guilty if I tried to bring on any more.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM

My purse is small and I had it across my body, so I it didn't take up much space. The ones I would worry about are the 22" roll aboard AND also the HUGE backpacks. There were many of those on every flight I was on. Also, you are allowed a bag with food and you can carry a book in your hand.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM

""The flight attendants are going to CONTINUE "having a tough job" until the airline they WORK FOR ENFORCES the rules so please stop whining about it.""

And the FAs will continue to have a tough job UNTIL the airlines stop with the ridiculous baggage fees.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM

You don’t pay baggage fees when you belong to an airlines frequent flyer program and fly within their alliance.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM

The rules existed PRE baggage fees and were routinely ignored then.

Sadly, the bigger issue is a sense of "entitlement" that says "rules don't apply to ME, for ME they meant three or four items"

Everyone wants to blame "baggage fees" but as a 20 plus year Frequent Flyer, steamer trunks have been coming on for years as "carry on" About five years ago I sawa a woman having a screaming HISSY fit in the gate area because her FOUR 22" suitcases weren't going to be allowed on. She was asking fellow passengers "don't you think I should be allowed to take these on" (My response was a look of amazement at her actions) She then moved to begging the other passengers to "take one of these for me" (Gate agent put a stop to that)

If that has been "isolated" it would have been one thing, but hissy fits over luggage have been going on for years. I have seen them routinely on SW that has NO baggage fees.

Perhaps a return to elementary school.. put EVERYTHING you are planning to carry on in a line on the floor. Now count 1, 2 STOP. Everything else "UNDER THE PLANE" Not "well this is a tiny purse or a little extra bag" .....
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM

<<You don’t pay baggage fees when you belong to an airlines frequent flyer program and fly within their alliance.>>

ONLY if you are an elite or preferred member. Non- elites on US Airways to or from Europe - 1st free, 2nd bag $50, 3rd bag $100.

Preferred members (Silver, Gold, Platinum, Chairman) 1st free, 2nd free, 3rd free.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM

I do not care about the baggage fees. I had a 30 minute connection in Memphis, and I knew my bag would not be on my flight. I did not book my flight with that connection. My itinerary was changed three times by Delta after I booked.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Dukey, Dukey, Dukey -- darling -- you'll know when I'm whining. That was not whining, simply stating a personal experience and my opinion about it.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM

The luggage allowances vary from airline to airline. I have the impression (not 100% sure of regulations) that allowances for USA airlines are considerably more than for, say, Australian and Asian airlines. I would check the website of your particular airline.

Many times I read on this forum of people taking 'carry on' only with bags that would not be permitted by Australian airlines, for example.

Not all airlines are the same so if you're anxious, check with them.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I checked with the airline, because I was on the phone with them regarding the volcano issue, and I was told it was permitted. Now I just want my flight to take off on Thursday.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM

<< And the FAs will continue to have a tough job UNTIL the airlines stop with the ridiculous baggage fees. >>

The Right for Americans to carry aboard all their personal belongings including the kitchen sink has nothing to do with baggage fees but everything to do with American airlines being too wimpy to enforce their own rules
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:57 PM

<< And the FAs will continue to have a tough job UNTIL the airlines stop with the ridiculous baggage fees. >>

The Right for Americans to carry aboard all their personal belongings including the kitchen sink has nothing to do with baggage fees but everything to do with American airlines being too wimpy to enforce their own rules>>

We're taking my 3 grandchildren (me & husband) to St. Thomas 2/2011, if I weren't a preferred member I would have to pay $100 each way for baggage, total $200 in addition to the airfare).

Now what would you do carryon or check? And no I don't pack the kitchen sink in fact when I go without my husband I pack everything in an 18" and still have room!