Caravaning across europe from england and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my wife and I are planning to take six months out in September 2011 to travel across Europe. Would like suggestions on an itinerary and places to see, as well as any good caravan sites. Many thanks.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't go caravaning in Switzerland during the winter months.

In fact, you might want to start north and travel south as the days get colder.

Lots of caravan sites close during the winter season.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi was thinking of crossing over to Brittaney and traveling down through Spain and Portugal and through Italy looking for ideas and suggestions.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I suggest you contact the Caravan Club - they will have lots of advice on winter caravanning and camp sites open out of season.

The Dutch take their caravans on their winter sport holidays sometimes. Modern caravans are well insulated, and warm.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Have just joined waiting for info to arrive, we have a 10 year old van and it kept us warm in the snow and ice we had this year. Though I expect Europe would be colder. You idea of starting in the North sounds good.Just need to put the trip together from suggestions from people who have been there and can recommend places ect.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Yes U.K.'s Camping and Caravanning Club is a good resource as is for France, the TouringClub Francaise (or whatever the official name is) -they, like the British club, have their own sites and these in my many years of camping in France have always found to be well-equipped sites and in France there are zillions of camp sites and you can always find one near where you are want to go.

The Touring Club Francaise' camp in Paris at Joinville-le-Pont is smack on a RER train line about 20 mins out of the centre. (Not sure of current exact title of the French groups but a TCF site should be amongst the best.

I would suggest you get the International Camping Carnet Permit (from Britain's C & Caravanning Club) as it may save you money at some sites and may provide limited 3rd party insurance in the camp.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Sorry I can't help further - have a look at the AA and RAC too they also have campsite guides.

Much of Europe will be cold to very cold, including inland Spain and central France in the winter. Central France can get cold at nights in September - we had to scrape our car a couple of mornings when we stayed in the Auvergne in mid September.
Six months from September would mean returning home in February/March. You could still face snow then in some areas so need to be sure you can cope with towing in the snow/ice.

You also need to check your car insurance will cover you for six months abroad and that you have the caravan well insured too.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for that info will look them up now.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I have collectively camped for several years - over some decades all over Europe and can say that except mid-July thru the end of August you will always be able to just pop into most campings and find space - week before and after Easter in southern Europe an exception.

There is always room for tents it seems even when there is really not IME!

Caravans need proper spaces so in busy times book ahead or at least call ahead.

And Europeans still practice Camping au Savage - just parking at various places in cities - like along roads along rivers or just pulling up for the night in a back alley.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:42 PM

Is OP living in the UK? If not then it's pointless having a European trip starting in the UK as you have problems like ferry costs and the "little" problem that they drive on the other side of the road from the UK