Car vs. Train from Florence to Rome

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car vs. Train from Florence to Rome

We are now in the fine tuning of our plans. Originally we were spending a day in Lucca, then renting a car the next day and maybe spending the day driving through the Chianti region and dropping the car off in Florence and spending the next day in Florence before we get up the following morning and take the train to Rome.

Now I am wondering if we should stay with Lucca, then from there head to Florence via train and rent a car to go from Florence to Rome. This way we can hit the Chianti region on our way down to Rome. We would drop the car off at the airport since we are staying in between the airport and Rome city center.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM

I might be wrong but isnt Chianti kind of South of Firenze not North? And Rome North of Firenze.... I feel your first plans is the right one. Good luck.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM

How many days do you plan in Chianti?
A 3 day rental is about the same as a one day, and you do not want to drive into Rome.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM

sorry what did I say, Rome North of Firenze, I am totally crazy, sorry....only explanation I am listening to the government shut down at same time...sorry...anyway i like better your first solution
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM

I think your first idea is better. THe drive from Florence to Rome is pretty long and won't afford you a lot of extra time to explore.

Actually, I would take the train from Lucca to Florence, pick up the car there, drive south around Chianti, then back to Florence. Only because the train from Lucca to Florence is pretty quick and just cuts down on the driving so you can save that for the beautiful Chianti region.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 07:17 AM

As I understand it, you have 1 day in Lucca, 1 day to drive to Florence and 1 day in Florence before you leave for Rome. This is not much time for any of these locations. Maybe instead of staying in Lucca, you go to Florence for 3 nights. You can do a day trip to Lucca from Florence by train. And maybe hire a private guide for a one-day driving tour of Tuscany.

If you pick up a rental car in central Florence, you have to get out of -- and back in -- the city avoiding all the ZTLs (locals-only driving areas). (Search this forum for disgruntled drivers who inadvertently drove in a Florentine ZTL -- and got double charged for it months later.)
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses. I'm thinking my original plan is the best like you all say!