Reload this Page >

Innsbruck to Fussen

Search

Innsbruck to Fussen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Kathey

Innsbruck to Fussen

Does anyone know if there is a bus or train from Innsbruck to Fussen to see the castles? Or what would you suggest is the best way to get there? There are seven of us. <BR> <BR>Also, can it be done in a day? If not, can you recommend a place to stay in Fussen or Innsbruck? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Kathey. I have not made the trip myself, but in looking at the German Bundesbahn schedules, the trip appears to me to be one of those that can be made by train and bus, but the question is should it be made? It takes at best 3 hours and 45 minutes one way with at least 2 changes. You may read the schedule yourself at the following site: <BR> <BR>http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/e <BR>(It is in English.) <BR>Spell the town as Fuessen because it needs an umlaut, but your keyboard may not be able to make one. <BR> <BR>My suggestion is to rent a van in Innsbruck and do your own tour. I haven't priced van rentals lately, but the cost of 7 train/bus tickets should be more than the cost of a van. There is however a definite question as to the route. The most direct way goes over some passes that, from the map, look like they would be very curvey. Others who know the road will have to give advice on that score. Good luck on this venture.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Paulo

If, like Bob points out, you rent a van in Innsbruck you'll be able to visit the castles on a single day and drive back easily. We've done that a couple of times. From Innsbruck to Schwangau it's about 100km and the drive should take 1 1/2 hours. The road is very scenic. Though there are a couple of passes to drive through (Fernpass and Engpass), where the road is indeed quite winding, it's very safe. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:06 PM
Kathey

Thanks for your help. Is driving in Austria and Germany as scary as Italy? <BR> <BR>Anyone know gas prices?

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Paulo

Most of your drive from Innsbruck to Füssen will be in Austria. You'd be driving a short piece on a divided highway and the rest would be on secondary roads, quite winding in a couple of paces. Austrians tend to drive slow. Germans also drive slow in secondary roads. Don't worry ... it's a piece of cake. The last time we were there, gas in Austria was cheaper than in Germany and Italy. I would guess you'd spend something around US$ 20 in gas to go back and forth. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 02:12 PM
kathey

Thanks Paulo!

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:43 PM
steve

I made the trip in 74 by bicycle via the FernPass and remember the road being quite good, especially for Austrian (most others were not so great back then)