COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car transfers from CTA (Catania Airport) to Siracusa

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have experience with Catania Airport Transfer? Looks like a reasonable price.
How about Sicily Life.
...or any other suggestions from your experience.

Thanks.
ssander
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 03:21 PM

Not recent experience but this from my trip report in 2010: “I’d priced the cost of limousine services from the Catania airport to Taormina, and the four bids I received were all over the map. The least expensive was Sicily Life at €75 so they got the nod.” Have you checked with the Sicily TripAdvisor forum?
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 10:26 PM

Hi Ssander,

I am just looking as well. I have a few guidebooks on Sicily but none of them mention a car service from Catania Airport to Siracusa/Ortigia. I am very surprised.

I know there is a train from the city center and a bus from the airport.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:37 PM

I am looking for same for April. Here are a couple of lines (74-83 Euros):

https://www.go-etna.com/catania-airp...yAAEgKBdvD_BwE

https://booking.suntransfers.com/boo...romNoMatches=0

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 02:15 AM

I suppose you know that there are frequent buses between CTA and Siracusa
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

neckervd....

Yes, we are aware of the buses...but the logistics are problematic...or at least it seems so:
  • The bus website does not work...cannot buy tickets in advance.
  • Buying the ticket on the bus is risky...what if it is fills up before we can board? The buses only run every half hour/hour or so. (This happened to us in Nice...but luckily Uber worked well for roughly the same cost.)
  • Bus drops us at the Siracusa station...then a taxi/second bus is needed to get to our hotel in Ortigia.
Normally we are prone to use public transport whenever we are in Europe...but this seems to be an instance where the extra money will be well spent.

ssander
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 04:27 AM

Are you staying in a hotel? If so, they may be able to help with ordering a car service.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 03:13 PM

We used Sicily Life for two transfers, Ortigia/Siracusa to Taormina, and Taormina to Catania airport a year and a half ago. I recommend them and would happily book with them again. Nice drivers.
I had the impression they will take you anywhere you want to go on Sicily even if they are based in Taormina.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Feb 22nd, 2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all...

We booked with Go-Etna. Well rated on Trip Advisor and competitive cost (74€).

ssander
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the update—have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 06:43 PM

I used this company Sicily Tours C. Egitto for both transfers and day trips and was very happy with them.
Our driver, Carmelo, was top notch.
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 04:02 PM

I am also looking for similar: Arrival in Catania and next stop is Ragusa. Would love ot have a driver take me from Catania, rather than taking bus. But only if I can rent car in Ragusa, which appears to have car rentals but when I try on Autoeurope I get nowhere. Of course I will phone them but as of right now, has anyone rented a car in Ragusa? Eventual drop off would be Palermo airport.

Anyone have names of drivers out of Ragusa who could take e on onen or two day trips??
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 06:51 PM
kja

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy View Post
But only if I can rent car in Ragusa, which appears to have car rentals but when I try on Autoeurope I get nowhere.
You might contact gemut.com, and give them the address(es) you have for rental agencies in Ragusa. They've successfully tracked some locations down for me, or confirmed when the locations were not valid.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 11:32 PM

ssander When do you go? I need to book the same service for my 20-year old daughter when she arrives from the States next Fall.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Irice...

Not for a few months...assuming Italy is safe from the coronavirus by then...seeming less and less likely as the virus progresses.
You book online.

https://www.go-etna.com/catania-airport-transfer/

ssander
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 10:30 PM

Thank you!
Old Mar 14th, 2020, 08:34 AM

<<I am also looking for similar: Arrival in Catania and next stop is Ragusa. Would love ot have a driver take me from Catania, rather than taking bus. But only if I can rent car in Ragusa, which appears to have car rentals but when I try on Autoeurope I get nowhere. Of course I will phone them but as of right now, has anyone rented a car in Ragusa? Eventual drop off would be Palermo airport.>>

Assuming you ever get to do this trip is there some reason why you don't want to rent a car at Catania Airport?

Old Mar 15th, 2020, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

All is moot, now. American airlines has cancelled our flight, and we have cancelled everything. My county in Pennsylvania now has schools and all stores -- except for food markets, gas stations, and pharmacies -- closed.

I hope we can go in the fall or maybe next spring.

ssander