Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car Theft in Italy and Milan Airport Question

Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:34 PM
Jane

Two quesions:
1) we are arriving in Milan Airport from the US at aroung 9 or 9:15 in the morning. Then we will dash off to the train station to catch a train to Kandersteg Switzerland. These trains leave every two hours so I am hoping I will be able to catch the 11:10 AM train. Is this doable?

2) We will return from Switzerland a week later and drive from Verona to Cortina and down to Venice. There will be 5 of us in a van and I was hoping we could stop along the way to sightsee. But it sounds as if there are a lot of car thefts in Italy - Should we just drive from Verona to our hotel in Cortina and not stop in Bolzano - or pick one poor soul to stay with the car? How bad is it?

3) Okay, one more question, now that I'm on a roll. We would like to drive the Great Dolomite Road. Is this going to be difficult with a van? Is the road so windy and narrow that the passengers will be terrified and the driver frustrated because she (he?)has white knuckles from gripping the steering wheel?

All of this is taking place in June by the way.

Thanks for your input.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:41 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jane, Not to worry--you seem paranoid. That is a great itinerary that you will enjoy---a bit harried but doable. Drive from Verona to Cortina thru the Val Gardena, stopping at Ortisei and then over the Sella pass and then up to Cortina. It will be typical mountain pass driving but not that bad. Enjoy !

Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:05 PM
Jane

Bob, you're absolutely right. I sometimes let myself get worked to a frenzy for no reason. I am trying to get rid of my control-freak tendencies and loosen up on vacation. It's not as easy as it sounds. I start thinking ahead about the details and get wound up.

On the issue of crime, I normally don't worry much about that kind of thing but it appears that you cannot rent a car in Switzerland and drive it to Italy because of the frequency of car thefts. I think Eastern Europe has the same problem. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:19 PM
traveler

jane there seems to be more of a problem with breakins into car rather than the theft of the whole vehicle. keep everything out of site when you park the vav and you shoould do well. good trip

Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:38 PM
kam

The car thieves in Italy are after the Alfas, Masseratis etc. not a van. As someone else said, make sure it's locked and your luggage out of sight, but there's not a lot of crime in that area. I think the landing at Milan Malpensa and then a train in 2 hours is too tight, but I don't move very fast on arrival. I would be concerned about late arrival and/or retrieving luggage. Good luck.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:02 PM
gb

We brought a inexpensive version of "The Club" that I bought at a Target, and used it throughout our trip.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:13 PM
liz

Jane, just be cautious and you will be fine. Also always travel with your doors locked as well, ( I do this all the time at home too ) there have been reports in France and Italy of people opening doors quickly while one is driving slowly and snatching purses ( once again I've heard of this happening at home as well!) We've traveled through alot of Italy and had no problem as long as you keep everything well hidden inside you will be fine! Here is a good tip which an Italian told me, get a local newspaper and put it on the seat or window, you won't look like a tourist traveling with a car load of goodies that way.
Have fun!

Feb 24th, 2001, 12:59 AM
steve

The thievery and vandalism problem in Italy is mainly in the south. The north is pretty safe. Just take the normal precautions you would take at home.

Also, if you would like some practical advice on italy, including helpful web sites, check out my home page -

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733

You will love the dolomites, even in a van! Just kidding - the road is fine with a van.

Feb 24th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Jane

Thanks for the great advice. We'll definitely buy the local paper - good idea and will be fun trying to read it. I hope you're right about the van, steve. I'll be the one driving, I'm sure.

Can't wait.