Car service/ Taxi on Amalfi coast

Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:47 PM
Tammy

Car service/ Taxi on Amalfi coast

I have received quotes from a few car services in Positano for three different excursions. The best quote came from Flavio Gioia.
Transfer from Naples to Amalfi-88 Euros
Transfer from Amalfi to Rome-340 Euros
Tour to Pompeii for 33 Euros per hour

Has anyone used a taxi for any of these services for much less?
Has anyone tried to negotiate a lower price? (I figure there's a chance I can, since I'm reserving more than one transfer.)
I also need some suggestions for an amount to tip the driver.
Thank you

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Tammy

Mar 4th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Tammy

to the top

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Saiko McIvor

Tammy.If you get a good response, I would appreciate hearing it.We are also going to Positano the end on March. Thank you!

Mar 4th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Mike

Contact Marcello Maresca at [email protected]. We used his driver services to meet us at the Naples train station (highly recommended), take us to Pompeii, drive us to our hotel in Sorrento, then spend 2 days exploring the Amalfi Coast. He has a late model Mercedes so it was very comfortable. For the price, it was reasonable too.

Mar 4th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Tammy

Thank you Mike. Anyone else?

Mar 4th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Kay

I consider the family at Flavio Gioia my friends. I have greatly enjoyed their friendship and car services. They have driven us from Naples to Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii, & Paestum. They will be driving us again this year. It is a family business and they are wonderful!

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Tammy

Kay, Thank you for your review. Have you ever negotiated a better fee for their services than their original offer?

Mar 5th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Tammy

top for Kay

Mar 6th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Tammy

Kay?

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Kay

Sorry Tammy, I have been away for a few days. I haven't tried to negotiate because I usually do all my research and then have my travel agent book everything. This time the only thing I have booked directly is Flavio Gioia. They charged us about $35/hr. in '98 and '00 to drive us around wherever we wanted to go, sometimes calling them at the last minute. I am hoping for a better price by booking myself, but I must admit I didn't even ask because I really love these folks.

Mar 6th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Kay

I forgot to mention that we usually get them to drive us to the Naples train station and take the train into Rome, but I don't remember what the train tickets cost. I actually used your quote as a comparison for mine because I did ask for a quote to Taormina from Positano because I know it might be very expensive and it was 600 Euros. I checked out viamichelin and it is about twice as far as your transfer from Amalfi to Rome, so the prices seem consistent. For that leg of the journey I am taking the advice of fellow posters and taking the train. Have a great trip!

Mar 7th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Kay

Tammy, I forgot to say that I think they charged us about $100 US to pick us up at the Naples train station and take us to Positano so 88 Euro sounded pretty good to me. They charge more for transfers when they have to deal with luggage, etc. I think.

Mar 8th, 2002, 01:53 AM
mark

does flavio have an email or website that you could post?

Mar 8th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Steve James

Hello Mark,

The website is:
www.flaviogioia.com
(can't access it at the moment, - not sure if that's a temporary problem ...)

e-mail:
[email protected]

FAX: ++39 - 089.88.11.896

Hope that helps ...

Steve

Mar 29th, 2002, 10:54 PM
karen

Tammy,

Did you settle on a driver, and if so, can you share with us the final cost? Wondering if you decided to stop at Pompeii on your way to Positano.

Thanks,
Karen

Mar 30th, 2002, 05:10 AM
michael

saiko
i tried to email you butit came back undelivered. you said you are going to positano in late march. we are going in may and i wanted to pick your brain when you return. do i have a bad email address?