School group (n = 40) searches for cheap hotels in Paris and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hopeful I can get a few leads on accommodations for about 40 students (aged 15 - 19) who will be travelling to Paris and Rome in March 2011. We need to be in the same hotel (i.e. not splitting the group into different hotels), We are willing to stay in one and two star hotels - or even in hostels. Our accommodation needs to be safe and secure (lockable) and near bus stops/metro. The closer to the center of the city the better for us. Students can be plonked at 3 or 4 to a room. Chaperones usually get single rooms or share with one other person. We anticipate staying 3 or 4 nights in Paris and the same time in Rome.

Does anyone know of rooms or hotels that might meet our needs? Thanks.

tC
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM

What is your budget per person?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you willing to stay in a convent?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

ellenem - We are hoping to find appropriate digs for about 120 Euro with 4 people to a room.

kybourbon - Absolutely, I would look forward to trying something out of the ordinary. Do you have any thoughts on the topic?

tC
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM

What are your plans for Rome? There are lots of convents/monasteries that have rooms in your price range. Many are near subway stops, but you would want to find one close to what you plan to visit. Some have curfews ranging from 10 - 12. Others have no curfew. Is that a concern?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon - I must confess this will be my first trip to Rome, so I can't speak with confidence about an ideal location. Certainly if we find accommodations near any of the main attractions, and near local transit it will be to our advantage. The curfew does not concern me too much. We drain the energy from the students with very full days and they are usually quite tired by the end of the day. Thanks for showing an interest in my dilemma.

tC
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Do you have a map of Rome with the metro? Is breakfast required? There are several that would probably be in your budget within a few blocks of metro stops Cipro, Lepanto (both by the Vatican Museums) and Cavour (near the Colosseum/Forum). Some convents list they offer group rates and can do some extra meals.

This one is near the Lepanto stop. You would need to e-mail for rates.
http://www.casamariaimmacolata.it/homepageeng.htm

I don't think the one by the Cipro stop has a website and they don't offer breakfast, but I believe they have a kitchen for group use where you could do your own breakfasts. The rates listed below are not up to date. You may have to pay more (or not if they do a group discount).

PICCOLE SUORE DELLA SACRA FAMIGLIA, Casa Di Accoglienza Paolo VI
Viale Vaticano 92
00165 Roma
Tel: 06.3909.1411; Fax: 06.3909.1427; E-mail: [email protected]
The rates are: 32 Euro for a single room; 55 Euro for a double room; 73 Euro for a room with three beds; 85 Euro for a room with four beds. No breakfast or other meals are served. Curfew is at 12:00 AM.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I think a hostel is your best bet.

If a hostel, do you have any objection to 6-person dorms (or even more people) per room?

What you need to do is find a hostel that will work with you to ensure private accommodation for your group of schoolchildren (I know they are teens, but still many hostels would not be into such a large group of kids under 18). For many school groups, this means an HI hostel. Unfortunately the one in Rome is not the best-located, but I think it is near public transport.

A convent could work too, but I think a hostel is best for a group of kids, as it's more likely to be their "style" than a convent. Try www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com to get lists of hostels (but I recommend booking directly with the hostel), and try www.hihostels.com to get info about the HI hostel in Rome.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM

There is an extensive website of Roman convents on the website of Santa Susanna. Santa Susanna is the church dedicated to Catholics from the USA. http://www.santasusanna.org/ourChurch/ourChurch.html

If you do not have a guide lined up in Rome, Daniella Hunt would at Mirabilia Urbis would be a great choice: http://www.rome-tours.com/index.php I know that is not what you asked for but if you decide to hire her, she might also have some tips on places where your group could stay.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM

For Paris, many hostels would likely satisfy your requirements, so look at the above sites, and also here:

http://www.fuaj.org/
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

WillTravel - we have no objection to more people per room at all. Thank you for your suggestions. With other groups we have stayed in hostels in Lille (France), Bacharach (Germany), Carcassonne (France), London (England) and others. My primary concern (as you might imagine) is the safety and well-being of the students I will be travelling with. At this time about 75% of the participants on this trip are female which requires another level of awareness on my part. For our hostels we have usually stayed in places that provide breakfast, but if there are good restaurants nearby we can easily adapt. We will be travelling during March, so we will not be in high demand season and hostels may have flexibility.

Salive - thank you for the hints about Santa Susanna and Daniella. I certainly appreciate your support.

kybourbon - I am still trying to think of a witty response to your earlier question asking if I am willing to stay in a convent.

I will use your information to expand our list of options. Thank you to all who have responded to date.

tC
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:15 AM

In Paris, try the BVJ hostels. There are two, one near the Louvre, and one in the Latin quarter: http://www.bvjhotel.com/
Very local, very clean, very convenient.
Good luck!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:45 AM

I don't think you will be unwelcome in a convent. Many state they have group rates (some even state for school groups while others are groups only) and many operate schools and are quite used to kids. I stayed at a convent in Rome that had a large group from Germany staying there.

>>>There is an extensive website of Roman convents on the website of Santa Susanna<<<<

Santa Susanna lists a handful of convents in Rome (out of over 200). They don't update often so their price list isn't accurate.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:44 AM

tC,

A convent is just one of many options (and a pretty good one, BTW)

Look here as well. There are many options for central, inexpensive hotels. Not only for 4 persons in a room for 120E or less, but also 3 in a room for 90E or 2 in a room for 60E.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/ Neighborhood "#8" is not as convenien as the other seven - but still "OK".

And for Paris:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/

All neighborhoods are OK, though #11, #12, and (especially) #3 are not as central as all the others.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I have not stayed here, but did look into to for Girl Scout group I took. It's set up like a dorm and seemed very nice (It was full when I needed it!)

http://www.fiap.asso.fr/index-en.html

I stay quite often at the Marriott around the corner and it's a good neighborhood (I use my frequent sleeper points for free stays ) I often see school groups from various places at the Metro stop near here and it seems to cater to them.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Opps, above post is for Paris!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Since you are a school group you can probably hook up with an agency that assists teachers in making plans. I've been on a couple of class trips overseas and I'm sure the teachers in charge worked with TAs that provided help and various trip options. I don't know the specifics since I only went as a chaperone, but I do remember the teacher in charge saying she had options on what to do, where to stay etc.

Good luck. 40 teen age students can be a nightmare! The maturity level of some can be frustrating since a lot of times it's thier first time away from home and they want to act older. We had trouble with students sneeking out late at night and partying in the wrong places. And these were supposedly top of the class students.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Hotel des Jeunes (MIJE) - Maubuisson (Paris, France) - Hostel ...
Hotel des Jeunes (MIJE) - Maubuisson (Paris, France) - Hostel ...

I used to put groups your size up at the group of hostels run by the MIJE in the Marais in Paris - all in neat old townhouses near the Seine in one of the oldest parts of Paris. My favorite was the Maubisson:

Hotel des Jeunes (MIJE) - Maubuisson, Paris: See 10 traveler reviews, 4 candid photos, and great deals for Hotel des Jeunes (MIJE) - Maubuisson, ...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM

>>>>http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/ Neighborhood "#8" is not as convenien as the other seven - but still "OK".<<<

Actually, several of the listings on eurocheapo are convents. You can do better contacting them directly.

If you want to see where convents are located (including the ones I linked above), pictures of the rooms, lists of amenities, etc. you can check them out on monasterystays.com. Keep in mind that the prices they list are inflated as they tack on a 10-15€ surcharge per night. You can book cheaper by contacting the convent directly.
http://www.monasterystays.com/?show=localities&id=12

The two I listed above are #'s 143 and 210 (purple). I've stayed at 198 (orange) where I saw the German group and friends have stayed at 129 (orange). I paid 50€ for a single booking directly with the convent while monastery stays lists the rate as 62.50€ (I have their e-mail if you want it).

#129 states on their website they have group rates so you might try e-mailing them also. The English portion doesn't work so stick with the Italian.
http://www.domusnovabethlem.it/
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Google www.fuaj.org, the French association of auberges de jeunesse, a national association for cheap lodging for students.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -