Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car service from FCO to Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-service-from-fco-to-hotel-689734/)

MyBailey Mar 21st, 2007 03:58 AM

Car service from FCO to Hotel

Looking for some great car services to go door to door from Rome airport to our hotel. We are staying in the Aventine Hill area at Villa San Pio.I have heard horror stories about drivers not showing up or being an hour late. After flying for 8 or 9 hours, I would be unhappy with that. How much are they and what would the proper tip be ? Thank you!

LilyLace Mar 21st, 2007 04:45 AM

Mybailey: why not just take a taxi? That way you just walk out of the airport and get in. FCO is a very busy airport. There are always cabs waiting from my experience.

MyBailey Mar 21st, 2007 05:59 AM

Hi! I was told that cabs really rip you off if you do not know the language or where you are going. They always say they are lost and drive around and around. Its not like NYC where there is a set taxi rate to Midtown.

Steve_James Mar 21st, 2007 06:23 AM

Hi MB - These get good reviews here:

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve

LilyLace Mar 21st, 2007 06:35 AM

Of course it's your choice but you could just as easily ask for the cost up front.

I have never felt "ripped off" in Rome, these guys turn the meter on and you pay the price that is on it when you get to your hotel.

Most cab drivers want to get you to where you are going and grab another fare. In fact I last September my husband fell ill and I had to get to a pharmacy for medicine before 1pm when they closed. My taxi driver actually turned the meter off while he waited for me to run into the store (and it took a few minutes because I don't speak the language).

My point is that sometimes people like to tell stories of worse case scenarios and they are just that. Something that happened to one person not the general rule.

Grinisa Mar 21st, 2007 06:40 AM

I have always been an advocate for taxis at FCO. These "stories" usually involve unlicensed' cabbies that enter the terminal and seek out the unsuspecting tourist as a fare. Licensed cabs wait outside the terminal at the taxi stand, have a meter, and know Rome extremely well. In a few dozen trips to Rome, I have never been "ripped off" by a licensed taxi cab. There was a recent post where someone paid 60 or 70 Euro to a private driver to go from FCO to a hotel in the centro storico. The taxi fare would have been around 30 Euro. THAT'S being ripped off.

mauitammy Mar 21st, 2007 07:13 AM

We have used Limo service Rome and Roma Shuttle. We found both to be reasonable and very reliable.

NeoPatrick Mar 21st, 2007 07:18 AM

I still fume over the night we arrived at Termini and the taxi drivers in the main official line at the train station quoted us 25 euro PER PERSON to take us to the center of Rome. It seemed there was a short bus strike, so they all decided to charge what they wanted.

From FCO to Rome I use www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
For 35 euro set fee they meet you, help you with your luggage, and take you right to your hotel or apartment. I have had perfect luck. What's more you don't have to prepay, so if for some strange reason they DIDN'T show up, you could still take a taxi and not lose anything. But so far, I've not heard of that happening with anyone. You can book them easily on line.

dorkforcemom Mar 21st, 2007 08:00 AM

I second the suggestion of www.limoservicerome.com
We've used their services on several trips and have always been pleased with them. They give you a cell number to call in case of delays or problems. They are waiting with a sign - you bypass the sometimes/always lengthy taxi line and know the cost - no guessing.

SPQR Mar 21st, 2007 08:06 AM

MyBailey,
since October of last year there has been a fixed fare of e40 from FCO to the center of Rome for Rome licensed taxis - just make sure to get a Rome taxi.

jabez Mar 21st, 2007 08:41 AM

I've had good sucess with http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/
the firm patrick listed. For 45E it's really very convenient and the cars are nice.

NeoPatrick Mar 21st, 2007 09:54 AM

jabez, what is the 45 euro? We paid 35 euro last summer and I think that's still what their website shows unless you have a larger group or need a van.

daveesl Mar 21st, 2007 12:55 PM

I totally recommend Rome Shuttle Service and the cost is 35 euros. I think there is a small additional fee if the time is like something weird, after midnight or something like that.

We arrived FCO early, got through customs faster than I predicted and ended up being ready about an hour before I reserved. The driver was already at the airport waiting.

Dave

emmalee_71 Mar 21st, 2007 08:00 PM

ELLO. we used benvenuto limos and they were great and very reasonable. Their web www.benvenutolimos.com

NeoPatrick Mar 22nd, 2007 04:49 AM

emmalee, offhand, do you know if they charge more or less than 35 euro for an FCO/Rome transfer. I hate websites where they can't put a simple thing like that on it, you have to contact them for a quote. Surely they have a set fee for a transfer?

Steve_James Mar 22nd, 2007 06:03 AM

Benvenuto Limos are based on the Amalfi Coast - so I'm sure they don't provide transfers within Rome themselves.

If you book through them they will almost certainly contract out to one of the Rome-based companies.

Steve

Statia Mar 24th, 2007 08:09 AM

I can also recommend Stefano of Rome Cabs. He was very prompt, gave us his cell phone number in case we needed it on arrival, and even gave us a mini-tour on the way to our rented apartment. I ended up using him for a day tour outisde the city, as well as a night tour of Rome.

http://www.utenti.lycos.it/romecabs/

slaflamme Apr 11th, 2007 03:34 AM

I am working with Stefano now and he seems quite accomadating. My mother and I will be spending an extra day in Rome on each end of our cruise. Stefano will break up his normal full day Rome tour to suit our time schedule. I am just concerened that he wants cash euro at the end of the trip. I would prefer traveler's checks. Any way, here is another website for his Rome Cabs:
http://www.romecabs.com/transfers.html

julieah Apr 11th, 2007 05:35 AM

Just returned from Rome and I highly suggest that you consider taking the train from FCO into Rome.
We took a taxi from the airport and were charged 80 euros.
On the way back we took the train for 11 euros each and the express train took about 30 min.
Termini station is easy to navigate, no steps and if you need a taxi, they're right outside the entrance.

slaflamme Apr 11th, 2007 09:30 AM

Juleah, Stefano's charges 40 euro from airport to hotel in Rome. His taxi/limo service has come highly recommended from other travel critic sites. I will be traveling with my 80 year old Mom who will have difficulty carrying her luggage. I am going to be her hand maiden so to speak. Catching a train is for the younger more agile and less stressed travelers. If my husband and I ever get to do it, we are the type to walk and take public transportation.
As a follow up to my previous issue regarding cash payment with "RomeCabs", Stefano accepts paypal. That works for me.