Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car route from Cannes to Valensole to see the lavendar fields

May 31st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Which are the areas/ villages between Cannes and Valensole that will offer a chance to see the Lavender fields?
Also, is 20th June a good time to see the Lavender Fields in bloom? I have been told that the fields are in full bloom late June - mid July - but again depends on the weather. So what are my chances, you think?

Thanks
May 31st, 2010, 06:04 AM

It is about a 2 1/4 hr drive to Valensole, so make sure that there is really lavender blooming there before you head out. We drove through there about 8 years ago in mid June and the lavender was in bloom - it it was also a very hot early June that year. I understand that they are having an unusually cool spring this year.

Here is something I wrote about the Lavender fields there

Leave Greoux on the D8 toward Valensole. There are some nice lavender & poppy fields before you reach Valensole. Go through Valensole (stop if you have the time) & continue on the D8. There are more lavender fields along the way & a spectacular field just past the Brunet exit. When you hit the D953, turn right toward Riez. There are more lavender fields along this road and you will see some large “silos” – I don’t know if these are connected with lavender processing. Just before Puimoisson, turn left on the D108 toward St Jurs. Drive up to this village & get your camera ready. You should be able to see the Pre Alps in the afternoon on a sunny & clear day. The setting of St Jurs is very picturesque - my wife’s camera broke while trying to take a picture. Return to the D953 and continue toward Riez. Around Puimoisson, there are some spectacular lavender fields. As you descend toward Riez, the lavender fields stop. At Riez, turn northwest and take the D6 toward Valensole. Pass through Valonsole & continue on the D15 (northwest) toward Forcalquir/Manosque/A51. There are more spectacular lavender fields along the D15. When the D15 hits the D4, go north on the D4 along the Durance River & get on the A51 or N100 and head back to Aix or the Luberon.

Stu Dudley