Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car rentals in Croatia and Slovenia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rentals-in-croatia-and-slovenia-1710912/)

Gypsy8 Oct 21st, 2022 05:09 PM

Car rentals in Croatia and Slovenia

Does anyone have a car rental company to recommend? And is there a problem crossing borders between Slovenia, Croatia, BH, and Montenegro?

KarenWoo Oct 22nd, 2022 06:59 AM

In Dubrovnik, we rented a car from Oryx Car Rental. We returned the car in Zagreb. After spending a couple days in Zagreb, we took the train from Zagreb to Ljubljana. At the Slovenian border crossing, first the Croatian police checked our passports and stamped them, and then the Slovenian police came by and did the same. This took about 20 minutes. Perhaps the routine is the same if you are driving across?

In Ljubljana we rented a car for the day from Avant Car.

While in Dubrovnik, we hired a driver for a day trip around the Bay of Kotor, stopping in several places. When we crossed the border, our driver showed our passports to the border police. No problems at all. There can sometimes be a long line of cars and tour buses waiting at the border crossings.
Hope this helps.

Gypsy8 Oct 22nd, 2022 04:34 PM

KarenWoo, thank you for your response. How did you find the private driver? Would you mind sharing how much was charged and for how many hours?

laurie_ann Oct 23rd, 2022 05:00 AM

You would have to check the details if any issue taking a car across borders. That is easy to check for a rental made on Autoeurope.com. In 2019 we rented in Ljubljana and took it into Croatia and back again. I don't recall any issue across border for that. The location was in central city, in a hotel, with a couple different of the international rental car agencies there. Was easy to get in and out of the city with google maps.

KarenWoo Oct 23rd, 2022 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gypsy8 (Post 17408644)
KarenWoo, thank you for your response. How did you find the private driver? Would you mind sharing how much was charged and for how many hours?

I found our guide and driver on Trip Advisor. First I contacted Julija Antunovic. She was not available on the day we wanted to go to Montenegro but she recommended her colleague, Stjepan. He was excellent! Very smart, knowledgeable, warm and friendly. He told us about the history of Croatia and Montenegro along the way. Because he is not from Montenegro, he could not guide us in the places we visited and that was fine with us. We could have hired local guides for each village, but we didn't think it was necessary.

Stjepan picked us up at 7AM. I chose our itinerary: Budva, Kotor and Perast. Stjepan did mention that he thinks Herceg Novi is nicer than Budva, but they don't like to change the itinerary that clients make. I didn't note what time we returned, but I know we were back in Dubrovnik in time for dinner. I didn't write down the cost but I think it was about $200 for the day for the 2 of us.

If you wish, you can click on my name to read my trip report from September 2019.

Gypsy8 Oct 24th, 2022 05:32 AM

Car rental

Karewnwoo……thanks for the further information. I did read, and enjoy ver much, your trip report. I had not considered a private driver, but will certainly consider that now :)

KTtravel Oct 24th, 2022 07:11 AM

We rented a car in Croatia and travelled to BH and then returned the car in Croatia. We had no problems and rented the car from either Autoeurope or Kemwel (I can't remember which as I've used both.)

MichGuy Oct 24th, 2022 05:19 PM

Dated information, we took this trip in 2017. We rented a car in Munich, did a big circle, and returned it to Munich. (We rented from Hertz and I'm not sure if they're even doing business in Europe now.) So, a couple of things:
-- No problems at border crossings. I think the US passports helped. Just a quick look into the car and we would be waved through.
-- Except driving to Kotor from Dubrovnik. Montenegro has specific insurance requirements. There was a waiting line to cross the border and, when you get to an officer, he waves you aside to get the insurance. I think it cost about US$20 and they took a hard look at the rental papers. The whole process took around 30 minutes.
-- To drive from the main part of Croatia to Dubrovnik you actually pass through BH. There was a border office of some kind but I don't even recall slowing down for it. Other than that we didn't go into BH.
-- Main highways in Croatia were great. They are toll roads but the toll plazas are easy and take credit cards. The secondary highways were two lanes but generally in good condition.
-- Good driving in Slovenia too. Slovenia requires a "medallion" to be displayed on the windscreen. You have to buy it as a toll or road tax. We bought ours at the first toll plaza we came to. It was expensive but the fine is even more so.

rialtogrl Oct 24th, 2022 10:30 PM

In Croatia I always use MACK. They are easy to work with.

https://mack-concord.hr

Just tell whoever you rent from where you are taking the car and they will give you the right documents. This should include the green card to enter Montenegro, though the border guy did not even glance at mine last time.

MichGuy, and for the OP, if you are driving on the coast between Dubrovnik and Split you do not need to go through BH anymore. The newly built Pelješac bridge is open and traffic is directed onto it. I might choose the Neum corridor through BH because it never look that long.. but you don’t have to.

Gypsy8 Oct 25th, 2022 05:34 AM

Michguy and realtogrl……valuable information, thank you. We do prefer secondary roads - better for seeing small towns and usually prettier drives. Did not know about Slovenia ‘medallion’.
I will check out Mack-Concord rental. And good to know about the bridge, altho we would like to go to BH.
As the time gets closer to our planned vacation, I will be looking forward to your experience and advice.
Thankyou, Colleenbee

MichGuy Oct 26th, 2022 04:46 AM

Good advice from rialtogrl -- Just tell the rental car company everywhere you plan to go and they and they will make sure you have the right documents. Should be true if you rent in Slovenia or Croatia. When we rented our car in Munich, Hertz didn't do anything about the medallion for Slovenia. We had learned about that in RS's book.
While most of the secondary roads we drove were pretty good, be aware that the road from Dubrovnik to Kotor that goes around the bay of Kotor is crowded and old. Figure you'll average about 30 mph / 50 kmph.

Gypsy8 Oct 27th, 2022 05:14 AM

Thank you for these tips! It looks like every rental company has the same guidelines with crossing borders

Gypsy8 Oct 27th, 2022 05:16 AM

ooooh…those are exactly the types of roads we like! We live in Canadian Rockies and are pretty used to windy roads. Also drove in Ireland on secondary roads…very narrow and winding! Loved it. Thanks for the heads up!