Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car Rental v. Train travel - which is more economical? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-v-train-travel-which-is-more-economical-598157/)

TravelRibbon Mar 10th, 2006 05:29 PM

Car Rental v. Train travel - which is more economical?

I'm heading to France in mid-May! Woo-hooo. I want to focus on the Brittany and Normandy regions. I want to rent a car, but after reading a RS book, it doesn't appear to be that economical to rent since I'm traveling solo.

For those that have rented a car in France, did you do a cost analysis to see which mode of transportation was more economical or did you care? My understanding is that there are quite a few tolls on the autoroute in France and that they can add up.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

leuk Mar 10th, 2006 05:51 PM

Hi
The trains are easy but it depends on where you are going and what you want to do. The car gives you flexibilty and you can visits towns that aren't on train routes. However, parking and traffic and the local drivers can make the experience less than pleasant. The locals like to drive fast and close to your rear bumper. If you are travelling on your own and don't have a navigator to say "You should have turned left back there. What are you stupid?" this will also add to your stress. The tolls are relatively cheap - given that the trip is costing you thousands of dollars, the tolls might add up to 0.5% of your trip. It's cheaper to go on the toll roads and pay the toll than go on the side roads for a longer trip and additional fuel costs. However, you will see more of the country side. It's hard to see the country side when driving at 120 km/hr. If you rent a car... make sure it is a diesel. Gas is really expensive
Also, make sure you have appropriate insurance. RS has some good tips on this

annetti Mar 10th, 2006 06:01 PM

We've traveled extensively in Brittany and have never encountered a toll road.I have never compared prices, but I would imagine it would be cheaper to take public transport if you are traveling alone. I, generally, like public transport, but I can't imagine traveling in Brittany by bus, not if you want to see some of the lovely small villages, the Parish Closes, the small seaside towns, etc. I'm sure it can be done and I am not trying to discourage you, but a car will give you lots of mobility. Driving is easy, even in the Summer, most roads are relatively empty, and parking except in high tourist spots like San Malo, Quimper, Concarneau is easy. If you are interested in the large tourist areas, like those mentioned above, then I will contradict myself and say, that I would imagine you could do it by bus. No slur intended on those towns intended. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting them. I particularly enjoyed Mont St Michel and San Malo. If you do decide on a car, check out the Michelin Green Guide for Brittany and their suggestions on routes to travel. They have some excellent ideas and can give you some thoughts about places a little off the tourist route for Brittany, if there is such a thing. Brittany is well-traveled by French tourists and there's hardly a place where you won't see someone carrying a green Michelin Guide under their arm.

JEFF_ Mar 10th, 2006 06:06 PM

I've driven solo in France the last three years for many of the same things leuk mentioned. It's really the only way to see everything without being slave to a train schedule. In the past I used trains, but as soon as I ventured beyond the big cities, a car was the obvious thing to do. And I enjoyed it. Not that weren't times a navigator wouldn't have been helpful, but I always do enough research to not get lost (well sometimes I go around a traffic circle a few times.)

This doesn't address the cost question, but I shop around for the best deal. And then AutoEurope matches it with insurance included.

USNR Mar 10th, 2006 06:06 PM

1. Divorce your thinking from that "cost analysis" mode. Penny pinching sucks all the pleasure out of any journey.

2. Enjoy your trip. Seek out the unusual. Get off the autoroutes. Take the back roads. Search for "gites" (B&B) accommodations.

3. Whatever you do, do not drive in or around Paris. Particularly if you do not know the roads. It's a great city and hell for drivers.

4. Brittany and western Normandy are so picturesque that it would be a shame to see them through railway car windows. Picnic. Slow down. Even get lost a time or two. Drive less. See more. Enjoy.

What are our credentials? We have made just about all the mistakes we advise against, learned from those mistakes, and took the roads less traveled -- by rental car on the back roads and have experiences enough to fill several novels.

RufusTFirefly Mar 10th, 2006 06:59 PM

The standard these days is a complete benefit-cost analysis. People often forget the benefit part of it. It is more than just the money.

There are tangible costs and benefits--the actual dollars paid out and/or received; but don't forget the intangible costs and benefits as well. For example: One intangible (can't be readily expressed in money) benefit of the train is not having to deal with traffic and finding a place to park. While one intangible benefit of the car is the ability to go places the train can't much more easily.

So one might cost more than the other in terms of money, but the total benefits might outweigh the money factor. Or not.

ira Mar 11th, 2006 07:01 AM

Hi TR,

You have to do the numbers and then decide.

Train schedules and prices are at www.voyages-sncf.com.

See www.novarentacar.com and www.autoeurope.com for cars.

Driving directions and maps are at www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com.

((I))

Doble_Vergasser Mar 11th, 2006 07:18 AM

If you are a planner by nature, then you might be able to plan a trip where you do not have to have a car. You have to look at where the train goes. When we went to Normandy, the travel guide books did not recommend relying on the bus service.

We rented a car because we were overnighting in a 17th century chateau outside of Caen. We now know that we could have gotten there with a taxi instead of a car.

On the other hand without a car we could not have gone to Honfluer, Troville, etc.

annetti Mar 11th, 2006 07:53 AM

One further thought about cars, although they give you incredible mobility and may be the best way of seeing Brittany, (I don't know about Normandy), they are somewhat isolating. You will meet more people, strike up more conversations on buses and trains, than you will driving. It may be a plus factor for you if you are traveling alone, or perhaps you will enjoy the luxury of your own thoughts that a car will offer. Another factor to consider. How much time will you have? If you have several weeks or more, then you won't be as constricted by train/bus schedules, but if your time is limited, then again a car makes more sense, since you won't be planning your days by train schedules and spending time waiting for a bus. We have traveled in Brittany during the summer and sometimes we have encountered some pretty heavy rains, so you might want a car for shelter and a quick get-away or you may not want to drive in the heavy downpours. Whatever you decide, you are sure to have a wonderful holiday. Brittany is very special.

TravelRibbon Mar 11th, 2006 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm in the process of looking at train schedules and planning an itinerary. I will only have 14 days to see both areas - at a very high level, obviously.

The Brittany sights are (and not in any specific order): Pont-Aven, Carnac, Quimper, Vannes, Dinan, St. Malo, and then onto Mont St. Michel.

Normandy sights: Honfleur, Rouen, Bayeux, D-Day Beaches, Caen, Arromanches, and onto Giverny.

It's a lot to see in 2 weeks, I know. Maybe its too much to do, but I'm still planning. I may decide to chunk this itinerary and just "roam" the regions! Ahh, the joys of planning a much needed vacation! (: