Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Car Rental-Umbria 2 Days/Sicily One Week-Need Recommendations Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/car-rental-umbria-2-days-sicily-one-week-need-recommendations-please-769305/)

galelstorm Feb 24th, 2009 09:39 AM

Car Rental-Umbria 2 Days/Sicily One Week-Need Recommendations Please

Can anyone recommend reliable, honest car rental companies that they have used in Umbria and/or Sicily? We are staying in Bevagna for two nights and would like to be able to pick up a car somewhere conveniently located near the train station in whatever town is best for pick up. Then in Sicily, we would like to pick up a car at the Palermo airport and return it to Catania airport. I know we must obtain international driver's licenses in order to drive in Italy. What about insurance there? Is it included with the rental?

galelstorm Feb 24th, 2009 06:37 PM

Topping with hopes for help :)

Steve_James Feb 25th, 2009 04:31 AM

Hi Gale - From Bevagna your nearest town with one of the major car-hire companies would be Foligno (- Avis), I think.

Between Palermo and Catania airports I think you'd have a choice of most of the main companies, e.g Avis, Hertz, Maggiore, Europcar etc.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

ilbster Feb 25th, 2009 07:53 AM

I go to Italy a lot and usually use www.rentalcargroup.com for a good comparitive website for cities allover Italy. I would reccomend renting your car at the airport when you arrive in Italy or else in Umbria small towns and villages you will be limited in choice and higher prices.

ira Feb 25th, 2009 08:15 AM

HI GS,

Try www.kemwel.com, www.autoeurope.com, www.sixt.com, www.novacarhire.com.

galelstorm Feb 26th, 2009 09:24 AM

Steve - Thank you so much for your help. I thought maybe Foligno was the closest. Also, thenk you regarding another post that you so genersouly helped me out with. I was able to find a driver for our early morning departure, from Positano to the Naples airport, for E 100.
ilbster -thank you for your recommendation. So you would wait until you arrive to rent? I thought perhaps it would be better to have this secured before we left. Have you had good success with this approach?
ira - Thanks for the links to these companies! I will check the sites and see what I can come up with. Do you generally make arrangements before you go?

Sea_Marks Feb 26th, 2009 11:42 AM

We stayed outside Spoleto for a week 2 years ago, and got and returned our car in Foligno -- we used AutoEurope and it was very easy. Who are you using for your driver from Positano to the Naples airport? We will be doing the same thing in May -- early morning departure from Naples, but we'll be staying in Praiano.

galelstorm Feb 26th, 2009 01:23 PM

Hi Sea_Marks-I narrowed it down to two and believe we'll use Renato
www.carsorrento.it
here's another possibility too
www.francescomarrapese.com
Thanks for the rental car rec!