Car rental rate in Ireland...seems high!

Apr 4th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Julia

Car rental rate in Ireland...seems high!

We just got a quote for renting a Ford Focus, manual, no air for 10 days (pick up at Shannon drop off at Dublin airport), including taxes and insurance = $741. This seems high to me. Thoughts?

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:28 PM
pat

That sounds very high. Better shop around some more. When are you travelling?
Also you don't need air. In Ireland 82 F is a heat wave. But you might want to get auto trans. Can you handle a stick shift with your left hand?
We booked our air and car thru an Irish travel agency we found on the Internet. Can't remember the price but I know it was better than that. I think it was in the $30-40 per day area.

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Jill

Julia,
Please check out irishcarrentals.com
I found $319 rate for 2 wk period! I checked a lot of pricing (via internet only) but Irish Car Rentals seems to be it. (also autoeurope.com)

Apr 11th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Ann

That is way too high, particularly for that car.

Try all of the major outlets: Avis, Budget, Hertz, National. I usually get the best rate with National. And while I haven't had good experiences with Dan Dooley, others on this board have.

I'm going over next week, and got a full-size car for 10 days (I had a Ford Focus the last time--never again), including taxes and insurance, for about $300, through priceline.com.

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:26 AM
steve

used Alamo 2 years ago. Much less. Booked over their internet site. However we picked up and returned at Dublin. Some places really gouge you on the drop off charges

Apr 11th, 2002, 09:57 AM
efoss

I rented a Ford Focus-automatic from Autoeurope and got a quote of $208 (9 day rental) without cdw. I used my MBNA mastercard which will cover my insurance if I bring a letter from the cc company.
Is the Ford Focus a problem? We are two couples packing very light.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Ann

It's not the size of the Ford Focus that's a problem. It's the fact that it's just not a very good car. That said, Ford did put out a new Focus model that it supposed to be very good, but unless you're getting a brand new car, driving a Focus is like riding a skateboard.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Ann

BTW, I've never had to pay a drop-off charge in Ireland or the UK. It's standard in the US, so I was pleasantly surprised the first time I did it, driving from L'pool to Glasgow. And I've done it twice in Ireland without a problem or extra fee.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:33 AM
AA

Julia,
We had very good experience with a Ford Focus (stick shift) from Dan Dooley.
It is a family owned company and they were extremely nice. The car was in excellent condition, and the rate much lower than what you quoted. You'll find their site with all their rates on the net.
The Focus is a nice European car!
AA

Apr 12th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Pat

If you've bought your ticket through Aer Lingus or Sceptre, they both offer special rates on car rental. I purchased my ticket by phone from Aer Lingus and they asked if I wanted a car and told me they had special rates. I declined, but they sent me a Hertz schedule of auto prices and they were very reasonable. The cost also depends on when you travel. I will be there in early August and that is the high season. The Hertz schedule clearly lists three rate structures. Low, mid and high season. In low season you can get a small car for as little as $19 a day. In high season that same car is approx. $35 a day. Good luck!

Apr 12th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Ann

The Focus is not a nice European car (with the exception of the newest model year). I've driven extensively in Ireland, and rented cars about 17 different times, and never had a complaint, until I drove the Focus (from Dan Dooley, no less). No pick-up, hard ride, etc., etc.

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Julia

I did some checking and the rate is so high because its automatic (no choice in that for us since we don't drive stick) and its in Aug....plus the insurance is about an additional $150. Manual vs automatic is about $200.

Checked Hertz, Kemwel, Irish Rental Cars, Budget and Autoeurope. Many internet sites give you a rate but do not include the insurance costs which are a daily fee.

Apr 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Ann

I'm not sure if you can do this since you're picking up in one location and dropping off in another, but it may be worth your while to try priceline.com. I've used it twice now for rental cars in Ireland and it's worked well. The price you bid includes all taxes and CDW.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Jeni

Try this company. I used them last year and their rates were great. They find the cheapest prices at various companies (Dan Dooley, National, etc.)These prices were lower than the prices quoted by the companies themselves. The price includes CDW and the only extra, about $5-9 per day, was if you wanted to pay to wave the deductable. We got a Vectra (midsize sedan)automatic (great car) in May for 15 days for about $500. http://www.rentacar-ireland.com/

Apr 18th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Mina

Based on all the advice from this thread, I found the cheapest was from Dan Dooley, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Dan Dooley, for a rental in Oct 2002 was 327.87 USD. Automatic, Ford Focus, 10 day rental, pick up/drop off Shannon. Includes CDW and VAT. Deductible is $455. If you want zero deductible, add $54.34. Brings it up to 382.21. Must prepay entire amount a month ahead of arrival, plus airport tax and tank of gas.

Auto Europe quoted me almost $500 for everything I got above.

Irishcarentals.com quoted me $319, but the deductible was 600 euros. For 8 euros a day, you could get your deductible down to 100 euros, but not zero. Therefore I thought Dan Dooley was the better deal, since I am almost positive I will do damage to the car! I also have gotten very quick and nice email replies from them (they even joked about the hubcap danger).

So my tip would be to read the fine print...decide what you need (CDW, extended liability etc.) Some of the deductibles were up to 750 euros! The bottom line is if it's in my budget, it works for me...I don't have to get the barebones deal...if I were, I'd just try to hitch a ride on a sheep...I hear the cars go about as fast as one.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Babs

Try Auto Europe again. They will meet any rate by a competitor and many times beat it by 5%.

Apr 18th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Babs

I should mention I am a TA and this is their policy for agents. I can't imagine it would be any different if you called them yourself though.

Apr 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Bill

Try Murray's Europcar (http://www.europcar.ie/#) They had the lowest rate I could find for an automatic back in October. The rates have gone up a bit, but not a lot. I think you can get an economy automatic for about $220.00 - 230.00 per week + 12.5% VAT. CDW and TP are included.

Bill

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
jen

I have booked a rental car (intermediate) for two weeks in May & www.budget.ie gave me a rate of 333euro. Has anyone used them or had any problems with this company in Ireland??

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
Mina

Bill, I checked Europcar based on your suggestion. They quoted me 31.78 euros pre day for a comparable car, which includes CDW, but doesn't include VAT. I can't find anywhere on their site what their deductible is, and how much it would be to get that deductible down to zero. So far, I think Dan Dooley has been the cheapest for me. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO