DH and I, our then- 19 month old son, and my parents will be spending a little over 2 weeks in Italy in late May/early June. This is our 6th trip to Italy (first for our little one!), but we have never driven in Italy. DH and DF (my father) have driven in Germany, Austria, and Greece and are familar with European road rules and are comfortable driving stick shift. All that sad... neither is thrilled at the prospect of picking up the car in Rome and driving out of Rome after our first 4 nights.
When we rent cars in Athens, we always pay a little extra to pick them up at the Athens airport so that the driver can easily hop onto the freeway and avoid driving in Athens itself. Would picking up the car at FCO accomplish the same thing? Alternatively, upon leaving Rome, we were planning to head to either Vitterbo or Orvieto. It looks as though both destinations are easily reached by train, so would it perhaps be less stressful to train there and pick up the cars there?
Many thanks for all your advice. I'm sure the prospect of driving in Rome isn't daunting to many, but when my usually mellow DH and DF both put their foot down about it... I know I best come up with some other alternative .
P.S. The day we would want to pick up the car is May 30th, a Wednesday. I believe we have to check out of our apartment by 10am.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 2 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 3 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 4 Which Aran Island??
- 5 Spain in 2018
- 6 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 7 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 8 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 9 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 10 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 11 Barcelona to Malaga
- 12 Honeymoon In Italy - Itinerary Help?
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Paris November 2017
- 15 Driving from Bouzies to Figeac
- 16 Rent in Rome
- 17 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 18 Rome Hotel
- 19 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 20 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 21 Moscow Hotels
- 22 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 23 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 24 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 25 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?