Car rental Q's in France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm renting a car for about 11 days in Southern France. Is there a site or information indicating insurance coverage requirements for vehicles in France?
For example , I put in a few dummy dates on the Avis website and it mentions "Liability Insurance" but is not a clickable option???
I thought I read somewhere Liability insurance is mandatory as part of the cars registration in France, in which case this would explain why?
Another thing I noted was a message "Additional surcharges (some of which are mandatory) may apply to this booking."
It never seems to be straightforward when it comes to car rentals!
Any information welcome

Thanks in advance
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Call AutoEurope and book. Best prices. If you have a credit card that has liability insurance you can waive it on the car rental price.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gretchen, certainly good rates!!
Their terms and conditions seem quiet clear, although if I were being picky, I could say why do they use the approximately?? what does than mean????

"Collision Damage coverage which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1200.00.
Theft Protection for the vehicle which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1450.00." (I will give them a call for explanation on this)

Thanks again
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:03 AM
RJD

Ah the old rental car bait and switch. Rather than call you might consider using Auto Europe's web site: www.autoeurope.com to find the true price of the rental you want. Do a pretend reservation and see the real price.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:27 AM

>>>>>>>>>>>
"Collision Damage coverage which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1200.00.
Theft Protection for the vehicle which limits potential vehicle damage liability to an excess of approximately EUR 1450.00." (I will give them a call for explanation on this)
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Means you are on the hook for the first 1,200 euros in the event of damage and 1,450 if the car is stolen.

If you have insurance as a feature of one of your credit cards it will cover you (according to their terms) and you must decline the coverage offered at the rental desk.

Liability insurance is mandatory on all rentals in France and is included in the price. You don't pay it as an extra.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Forgot to mention some of the surcharges:

- 40 euros for picking up at a train station or airport (but not dropping off)

- 6 euro a day 'environmental fee' for an automatic for the first 6 days

If you phone the AutoEurope toll free number they will explain the extra charges you will be billed for at the rental desk in France.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Additional fees not mentioned in many quotes will be road taxes, additional driver fees, and one way fees which Avis and Hertz charge. Most of these quotes include unlimited mileage (but not all).

If your credit card gives you CDW and theft protect, use that rather than purchasing this coverage from the rental company as the rental company coverage is very expensive and usually has very hight deductibles (or excess).
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like Autoeurope is the way to go!
I am in Australia and there is a local number to call. Knowing the full extent of the inclusions/exclusions is the main reason for my post!
As an example. earlier this year I enquired about car rental for a vehicle here in Australia through one of the major companies. I was given a price and advised there may be some additional charges to be paid at the counter upon pickup, although they couldn't tell me what they were!
If they can't provide this information, then to me , its indicative of bad service!
ParisAmsterdam, you are charged 6 euro a day to drive an automatic car for the first 6 days? I will enquire and thanks for the tip. For someone driving on the opposite side of the road an automatic was a consideration in making the job just a little bit easier.
Thanks again for the replies!
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM

<i>you are charged 6 euro a day to drive an automatic car for the first 6 days?</i>

Yes, this is charged as an environmental tax.