Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Car Rental Pick-Up in Montparnasse...good decision or nightmare?
Notices

Car Rental Pick-Up in Montparnasse...good decision or nightmare?

Jun 7th, 2002, 06:10 PM
pam

Car Rental Pick-Up in Montparnasse...good decision or nightmare?

After reading the posts about car-rental pick-up and driving in Paris, I had scheduled our car pick-up in Montparnasse around 10:30 in the morning.
We are staying in the 6th.
Is this a mistake? Do you advise selecting a different pick-up location? We will be leaving Paris after car pick-up. It would be possible to pick it up then collect our bags and drive immediately out of Paris.
Any advice would be most welcome
Thank You.

Jun 7th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Betsy

Hi Pam. Lucky you, going to Paris! If you're staying in the 6th, you may be able to arrange a closer pickup at Invalides. We dropped off our AutoEurope rental there, but noticed other agencies had desks there as well. Maybe Hertz and Avis. You can drive directly out of the city on the Champs Elysees to the Peripherique--probably a piece of cake in the morning hours. We drove in at rush hour and lived to tell the story!

Bon bon voyage

Jun 8th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Andre

Pam,

You should be fine, especially if you've driven in large cities before. 10:30 a.m. is a reasonably quiet time. From Montparnasse, just follow signs to Porte D'Orleans or Porte de Chatillon to reach the Peripherique (ring road around Paris from which the autoroutes start). If you're headed to the A6, DO NOT follow the blue A6 signs initially, they take you on a huge detour (though you will get there eventually) - just follow Porte d'Orleans or de Chatillon till you reach the Peripherique.

Betsy's suggestion of a pickup at the Invalides might make sense if you're staying closer to the Seine. You don't take the Champs-Elysees from there however - you drive down the quai (either East or West) to the Peripherique. This is also easy, but less convenient if you're heading South on the A6 (Montparnasse is best for this).

Oh yes, the Peripherique's two directions are "interieur" (clockwise) and "exterieur" (counterclockwise) - make sure you know which one you need, otherwise you'll be taking a loooong detour!

Hope this helps,
Andre

Jun 8th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Betsy

Oops, I thought we were on the Champs, but I guess it was one of the quais. We had a very detailed map and my husband drove while I navigated. Suggest you pick up a good map, Pam.

Search this Thread