Cotswald towns to stay in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Cotswolds for 10 days. We will be staying in Oxford and then driving throughout the Cotswolds. Logistically, what two or three other towns would you suggest to stay in for touring the Cotswolds.
Thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:09 AM

For quiet and nice hikes either of the Slaughters, Lower or Upper - I also like Stow-in-the-Wold though a more busy regional type town - but you cannot go wrong IME of putzing around the Cotswolds, a compact area that with car you need only one base really. Check out Cheltenham Spa too - a largish city but a really sweet one!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During our most recent visit we stayed in Broadway but there are many other locations (as you know) and everyone seems to have their favorite.

We enjoyed Broadway and the hotel we used. It perhaps isn't as "atmospheric" as some others and wasn't nearly as mobbed as some others on weekends.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:31 AM

For many ten days in the Cotswolds would be about five too many - unless you love to walk most of the days and with wet rainy weather not uncommon keep your itinerary flexible IMO - there are neat areas close by - Stratford-upon-Avon is a short enough drive as is Warwick Castle and many other just out of the Cotswolds sites - maybe a few days in wonderful Bath, to me England's loveliest city and not that far away.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would pick ONE town for your stay and rent a cottage. No need to pack and move when the Cotswolds are a relatively compact area and you can easily tour around from any single base.

Ten days there would be absolutely terrific - plenty of time to see the sites from Warwick to Hidcote to Bath plus all the gardens and tons of walking/villages.

For that long a stay, I would not pick either of the Slaughters (very VERY tiny places). Broadway would be OK . . . But for a village/town that is both lovely in it own right that also has options for pubs/restaurants/shops/groceries/etc . . I'd choose either Burford or Chipping Campden. Stow-on-the-Wold would be OK but I'd personally prefer the other two.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to agree with Janis in terms of Broadway having a somewhat limited number of places to eat.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Unless you're planning to walk from hotel to hotel, there's no point in staying in more than one Cotswold location. It's only a 20 min drive from central Oxford to the first "Welcome to the Cotswolds" sign (and that was this afternoon in the rush hour, with building works on the road and an accident slowing traffic down), so it's not at all self-evident you even need to move from Oxford.

Alternatives to Burford etc are Tetbury and Winchcombe.

Sadly, a drought has been declared. We've had no rain for the past month, next to none all winter, no obvious prospect of any in the near future, endless boring sunshine and a hosepipe ban kicking in from April 1 (which means no watering lawns). We'd pay good money for anyone able to promise "wet rainy weather not uncommon". And if garden viewing is important to you, be prepared to limit your expectations unless the weather improves
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Sounds like it is due to rain in the Cotswold Hills cats and dogs!
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM

On the edge of the Cotswolds is Fairford. While I stayed at the air base there for a few days, I thought the town was nice and well located.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM

One thing I enjoyed was getting lost while driving. It led us down lanes we would ever have purposely driven and led to any interesting discoveries.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 07:57 AM

(Fairford)"the town was nice and well located."

And almost entirely restaurant-free, unless you count the takeaways catering to the RAF (or RAF Regiment) brats who sulk and petch round the place at night as if it were an English garrison town - none of which (or whom) make it an ideal place to overnight, which was the poster's question.

BUT Fairford has one feature of such spectacular uniqueness it's worth a detour from dozens (IMHO thousands) of miles away to see. Its church not only has a full set of intact pre-Reformation stained glass (almost the only one out of our 10,000 pre-1540 churches), but a set that's actually been designed as almost one integrated work of art.

Its survival is a miracle. But it'd be stunning if there were 9,999 other survivors.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM

We had lovely stay at Malt House in Chipping Camden. Enjoy your trip. It is a lovely, and interesting, part of the world.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM

We stayed in Bourton on the Water for 3 nights at the MouseTrap Inn.. it was wonderful...
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM

We also based in Bourton on the Water and were delighted with our stay. It is a good, central location - not to big but just right. The Slaughters are just a short drive down the road.

Here's is my review the B&B we enjoyed in B on the W in 2010

Rooftrees B&B – this was a most interesting place. First, the location is excellent, a very pleasant straight 10 minute walk to the center of Bourton-on-the –Water. There is ample off the street parking. The B&B is an attractive one that features a sun room and a lovely patio in the back for relaxing. The breakfast was well cooked and a dinner can be ordered for extra charge. We did not try the dinner, so have no opinion as to its quality. The rate is amazing. We paid a paltry (for a Cotswolds B&B) 52 pounds per night for a room with a 4 poster bed. Rooms with regular beds are 2 pounds less. Our room is accurately pictured on the B&B web-site. What makes this B&B interesting is that our hostess, Silvia is a very talented maker of dolls and teddy bears. She makes every part including the porcelain like heads (I think she uses a resin), clothing etc. The dolls are quite elaborate. The house, including sleeping rooms is full of the teddy bears, no two alike. There is also a good sized gnome garden (or small city) that you pass as you walk to the house entry.

Our 4 poster room and bath did not leave a spot undecorated – even the toilet paper had a flower pattern. The room itself is somewhat small, but suitcases can be shoved under the high bed that had a mattress what was somewhat too hard for our tastes, but that is a personal thing. The bath is large but the pressure in the shower was a bit on the low side – still though it was adequate. I understand that the other rooms have a “power shower.” Towels were of excellent quality. We were also pleased with our choice of Bourton-on-the-Water as a Cotswold base. It is a pretty town that is central to the Cotswolds, had excellent places to eat and was an entertaining place to be.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM

In 2010 we rented a cottage for a week in a village called Hook Norton. It was great. I agree with the people saying "base yourself in one place". If you have a car everything is easy to drive to in the Cotswolds. We booked our through the English Country Cottages website. They have a great range of places. We prefer to stay in one place as you are not packing and unpacking all the time, you can make your own breakfast, get up when you want and you have the place all to yourself.
We liked Hook Norton because it was quiet and had 2 pubs with great food. While not the most picturesque village, the people were friendly and helpful and our cottage was immaculate.
I could easily go back there for 10 days as there is so much to see and do.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM

We visited several towns (and missed several others) but our favourite was Bourton on Water.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 04:26 PM

flanner mentions Winchcombe where we spent several hours. In that brief time we thought it might be a very nice place to stay on our next visit - an interesting and attractive town.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM

This is part of my future trip - 2013 - but this is great information.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Winchcombe, Burford, Chipping Campden, Tetbury . . . all good places to base from. (Tetbury might be a <i>bit</i> far west for touring around -- but then you'd have the PofW and Camilla as neighbors)

Each is a real town w/ services/shops/pubs/etc.

The problem w/ Bourton-on-the-Water is it is VERY tourist-centric. Of course, if you are staying there you'll be in the village after all the day trippers have left at 4PM . . .
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM

<<The problem w/ Bourton-on-the-Water is it is VERY tourist-centric>>.

That would depend on the season and I do not believe the OP provided dates. We were there in the early spring and that was definitely not the case. As you mention, even if it is in tourist time, they clear out and in the time they are there one can be exploring elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -