Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental - Paris CDG airport or St Pierre des Corps?

Notices

Old Nov 30th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am heading to France in September to visit the Loire Valley and the Dordogne. DS and I are landing in Paris CDG airport. This will be our first time renting a car in France. Which do you think is a better plan?

A. Take train from airport to St Pierre des Corp, rent car and drive to Amboise. ( The train to Amboise seems to run less often)

B Rent a car from CDG airport and drive to Amboise

Thanks for your imput.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 06:59 AM

Take the train to Tours (St-Pierre-des-Corps) and pick up the car there.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Depending upon pricing and cost, I would rent from CDG but only if your flight is NOT tansatlantic. If you depart CDG to the east and take N2 to N104/A4 to A6/10, you´ll probably be in Amboise sooner than if you take the train.

If your question includes arriving CDG after a transatlantic flight, don´t even attempt to drive from the airport.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:21 AM

I cannot imagine that renting a car at CDG could ever be cheaper than doing it almost anywhere that is not charging some sort of airport concession fee but perhaps I am wrong.

I agree with St Cirq.

We've actually done a car rental after taking a train from Paris itself to Blois and then we drove to Amboise. But if you can do it by using a fast train I would do it.

And I really WISH people would stop assuming that because a person has been aboard some transatlantic or OTHER long flight that they didn't get any sleep, are automatically too tired to drive, etc. This attitude is very very shortsighted IMO.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Direct trains from CDG at 8:19.10:16 and 4:21. Otherwise you get one from Gare Montparnasse in town. Or a Europcar rental from the office on the Avenue d'Italie is very convenient to the périphérique, cars right across the street.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 08:08 AM

it almost anywhere that is not charging some sort of airport concession fee

Renting at St. Pierre de Corps will probably incur a similar RR station fee.

Chartres is worth a stop on the say to the Loire, which would be a reason for renting a car in Paris.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...401029366/show
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Yes stay the night in Paris to rest up then pick up car and drive to Amboise -much easier than taking train of course.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Train stations have car rental concession fees, also.

Fast trains don't go to Amboise, they aren't on the TGV route, you can't even get one from Paris. But it isn't that far anyway, so the IC doesn't take that long from Paris proper (less than 2 hrs), but there is no direct train from CDG to Amboise. The train at 8:19 is to St Pierre des Corps.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:07 AM

The best way to avoid those concession fees might be to rent the car at an in-town location then and those are in various locations including Amboise.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:18 AM

And I really WISH people would stop assuming that because a person has been aboard some transatlantic or OTHER long flight that they didn't get any sleep, are automatically too tired to drive, etc. This attitude is very very shortsighted IMO.>

ditto -everyone is different. But if you can't sleep on a plane much then it may not be a good idea.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:48 AM

'Train stations have car rental concession fees, also.' Yes, but nowhere near what you are typically charged at the airport. CDG is on the expensive side of concession fees, but the upside is that the selection of cars will be far better then at a smaller train station.

If you are only needing a compact or smaller, then I go with renting the car in Amboise. Avis, Hertz and EuropCar have offices in Amboise.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 11:54 AM

it's easy to transfer at SP-Corps to local trains to nearby Amboise and do as Robert2016 says -rent car the next day or whenever you want to leave Amboise and save a day car rental.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 12:27 PM

And I really WISH people would stop assuming that because a person has been aboard some transatlantic or OTHER long flight that they didn't get any sleep, are automatically too tired to drive, etc. This attitude is very very shortsighted

Is it shortsighted to warn about one of the major causes of accidents and deaths on French autoroutes or is it shortsighted to ignore the dangers.

As a commandant of the French National Police once explained to me, the danger of driving fatigued is when the road is long and straight as what one typically experiences on the autoroutes. It is then, as the route becomes more monotonous, when one´s attention wanes and the detrimental effects of fatigue, sleep and reaction times for example, are most pronounced. Combine that with high speeds and autoroutes can become deadly. Whether you sleep on the aircraft or not, 6 to 9 hour time zone differentials are difficult on anyone.

'Train stations have car rental concession fees, also.' Yes, but nowhere near what you are typically charged at the airport.

I don´t think the numbers for the location surcharges, which is what many rental contracts refer to these fees as, varies by more than 5€ to 6€ between CDG, or any airport, and a train station. CDG typically charges 45€, train stations charge around 38€ to 40€. There may be a train station, location surcharge less than 38€ but I have not seen one for a long time.

but the upside is that the selection of cars will be far better then at a smaller train station.

This statement just does not make much sense. You won´t find a train station much smaller than the one in Amboise and no one who has any experience renting cars in France is going to believe that Amboise has a larger car selection of cars than does CDG.

Rental companies logically stock cars where they are most likely to be rented. What location in all of France rents more cars than does CDG?

PalenQ has the best solution. Spend a night in Paris, rent from an in-town office the next morning and save both one day´s rental expense and the location surcharge. The savings will pay for most of the hotel expense.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM

The Amboise train station is about a km from the town center -across the Loire and there is nothing around it that I recall -station may have AVIS cars but I think you won't find much at the Amboise train station itself.

Would there be a train station surcharge for picking up a car at St-Pierre-des-Corps if the rental offices are near the station but not in it as most are except probably AVIS or whoever has the concession of SNCF-used to be AVIS.
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 01:30 PM

If planning to take a train from CDG to STPC after landing and if you book discounted tickets ahead of time (www.voyages-sncf.com) note that they probably are not changeable nor refundable if you miss the train so leave lots of fudge factor time for planes or unloading, baggage, customs,etc to be longer than you think.

Yet a train right from the airport to STPdC is optimal if taking the train -schlepping into Montparnasse or Austerlitz (direct trains to Amboise from there) can be not much fun.