Car rental Normandy/Brittany

Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Car rental Normandy/Brittany

We are a group of five looking to rent a car in Paris (after first wk of French Open) to head out to Normandy/Brittany for 4 days (May 29-June2) returning to Paris the 5th day for return to the States. I wanted advice on reasonable car rentals in Paris. Who to use? What to look out for? Suggestions on trip iternary/places to stay are also welcome. Thanks
Apr 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM

This mostly to top the message, but when I needed a car in Normandy last spring, after shopping many places, the best rate was from Avis. They also provided other services for their customers.

Keith
Apr 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM

I had the same experience as Keith. I got the best rate from Avis, even AutoEurope couldn't match it.
Apr 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM

It definitely pays to reserve ahead. There are often tourist specials at various of the major rental companies. You will find that a lot of rental cars are diesel - this is generally good, as diesel fuel has lower tax, and so is quite a bit cheaper; just make sure you don't mix up and put the wrong fuel in the tank. With 5 plus luggage, you may want to look into a minivan style vehicle.

I've found Hertz and Avis to be fairly competetive on price in Europe (for advance "sales") - they aren't at the top of the heap there so they try a bit harder. They generally have decent vehicle descriptions on their websites - some cars, like the Ford Focus, are common to both Europe and US, so that gives you something familiar to compare.

Use the search box here to look for Normandy, you will bring up a lot of good threads.
Apr 24th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Definitely reserve from the US. It will be approximately 3X as much if you try to rent in France (at least that was what almost happened to us one time). We have used AutoEurope with great satisfaction. We have never rented within the city but people report that renting at Invalides is a fairly easy exit from Paris. Otherwise perhaps an office that is situated on the Peripherique.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Hello
Take a looh at www.ada.fr
I think they'll beat Avis and hertz for price.
From Paris go up the A13 to Rouen, a veryu interestinf city center. Joan of arc was burnt here. Don't miss the cahthedral, St Maclou chirch L(Atre de St Maclou - a 16th century plague pit- the Abbey St Ouen and the church in the market square.
From Rouen drive up the right bank of the Seinne through Jumoège and Caudebec and Duclair (ferries still work) across the Normandy bridge - the largest stay bridge in the world - to Honfleur.

Through the charming Päys d'Auge to Caen ( William the conquerors chateau)
Bayeux - the tapestry - the town - the cathedral.

The D day beaches (50 miles long)

Mont St Michel - the eighth wonder of the world.

4 days is just enough time.

www.cpmac.com/normandy