Search

Car rental Nice to Paris. Site help.iiste hi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental Nice to Paris. Site help.iiste hi

Hi,
Could anyone provide information about good internet sites or companies to deal with (booking from Australia). Approx. 2 weeks rental of econ/compact from Nice dropping off at Paris. Probably may enter Italy/Switzerland...does that creat problems.

Finally dropping off in Paris. Where is central if staying near Marais?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:49 AM

AutoEurope is very good. You might want to drop it off at Orly and take a cab into Paris.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM
ira

Hi barni,

Also check with http://www.novarentacar.com/

>may enter Italy/Switzerland...does that creat problems.<

Not necessarily. Check with the rental company.

>Where is central if staying near Marais?<

Don't know what you mean.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:26 AM

barni, AutoEurope is a middle man and represents many different cos. (you get better prices through them than you could get on your own). When looking for a price quote, I'd start by picking airport locations for pick up and drop off to get an idea of range of pricing (all the rental cos. have outlets at the airport but not all have city places).

Once you've done that, you might try seeing how the prices change by picking other locations. For Nice, FYI, the airport is very close to town.

Unfortunately they don't tell you what arrondisement each location is in. You'll need a map to see where they are. I do vaguely recall someone reporting a problem driving a car into Italy from France but can't remember the details.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:38 AM

You say "approximately two weeks". If you can stretch that into a 17 day rental, then look at Auto France lease program (assuming you're from outside the European Union). It works just like a rental, but you get a brand new car of choice at a daily rate with total insurance included.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. To clarify my question we want to pick up at Nice and drop off as close as possible to Marais on completion of journey. (As for the heading---iiste hi... that was poor computer skills not a santanic message).

From Nice we want to drive into Northern Italy and then perhaps into Switzerland. Any other ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM

barni, I also recommend from my own experience Autoeurope I would say a good place to drop it near the Marais would be la Gare de Lyon.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Our French rentals from Hertz have frequently prohibited driving into Italy. It may actually have something to do with the model of car you are renting.

When you reserve the car, ask for a hard copy of the agreement that includes the price. Be sure to take a copy of this with you, and keep a copy at h ome on file.
On several occasions when the rental charge showed up on our credit card it had very little relationship to the rate quoted at the time or reservation.

One time we were told that the price quoted us could not possibly have been correct. We showed them the hard copy and they still would not give us the car until
they called the headquarters office.If we hadn't had the hard copy in our hand, that most likely would not have bothered to check.

We've had these problems on three or four occasions, not just with Hertz ( with Avis and Auto Europe as well). The pickups were
all either from CDG, Nice Airporst or the Hertz Paris office in the Carousel de Louvre.

We have always eventually had the difference in the charge credited to our
account, but it takes months and it's a pain in the neck!

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hi Barni,

It is worth looking at the Renault lease program, which I think requires a 17 day minimum. They have complete insurance coverage. Look carefully at the coverage and deductibles on all other offers as the insurance can be pricy. I prefer to pay for lots of insurance because I do not want to worry about any scrapes etc. We picked up at Avignon and dropped at Rome airport for 23 days in a Renault Laguna and were very happy with the new car and service. It had a covered luggage storage area. I think you may save any VAT because you are the car lessee. There website is good. Our cost for this car was about $1,000, US, inclusive. No mileage charge. There was a drop charge of about $175. I think it is worth the cost of a taxi from CDG to NOT have to drop in the middle of Paris.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Went back through some old posts and found "Nova". Seems like good rates has anyone used them and what was the experience like? Thanks
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:36 PM
jay

I agree with autoEurope. We have used them many times and they have been great. My daughter and I did the same trip that you are talking about. We ended up doing three days in Como, driving through Switz. to Mulhouse in Fr. then up the Alsace to Strasbourg then to Epernay and then on to Paris. Have a great time.