Car Rental Italy - cost

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Italy - cost

Hi
Wish to hire a car while we are in the chianti region for about 4 days. Anyone have a preferred service provider (Avis or europcar?). What sort of deposit do we need to pay (in euro please). Will they accept my chipped cheque card (South Africans should know what I am talking about) or do I have to have a credit card? Avis has always accepted my cheque card in SA.
Also, we are staying in montespertoli - are there any trains go near there from Rome? Where we could hire a car or should we drive from Rome & drop off on Florence before we head (by train) to Venice?
Any advise very welcome.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM

We always use Auto-Europe, it's a broker and we have found they have the best prices and service.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM

What you are asking are questions that should be directed to specific rental companies.
While you are focusing on the payment aspect, a factor unique to driving in Italy you need to understand is ZTL (limited traffic zone.) Here is a sample of never ending ZTL saga http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-handle.cfm. Infraction in ZTL matters can hit you with several hundred Euros fines, especially in Florence, and can flow away any financial savings you thought you are getting in other areas.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM

There's no train station in Montespertoli; there are buses from Florence, but no car rental agency in town. I suggest you get the car at Florence airport. Don't consider getting it in downtown Florence; the rental agencies are near the train station, outside of the ZTLs, but there's only one safe road in, and it's very easy to make a wrong turn and end up with a big fine (plus the fee the rental agency charges your credit card for helping the police track you down.) The airport is a much easier and safer place to get the car.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 01:11 PM

In Italy I have used http://www.economycarrentals.com/ as a broker. They were cheaper than Autoeurope if the car was returned to the pick-up location. However, the broker provides the insurance, which means in essence, that you must pay of the repairs and be reimbursed by the broker. I have not had any experience with them in that regard.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 05:20 AM
ira

HI J,

I suggest www.kemwel.com. They are an associate of AE and cost less (usually).

You must purchase he Collision Damage Waiver in Italy. It's required by law.

You don't want to drive in the cities.

Ask the rental companies regarding payment.

All train schedules for Italy are at www.trenitalia.com

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:25 AM

A word of caution about economycarrentals. I had always recommended them and had used them as often as I've used Autoeurope until our last trip to Italy, May 2013, when they cancelled our paid in full reservation two days before our pick up date.

Unfortunately the only notice we were given was an email that went to my husband who was not daily monitoring his emails on vacation. Economy did nothing to provide either an alternative rental or any other assistance in the matter.

If you do rent with Economy and the price is substantially lower than all other quotes, make sure you have a Plan B if they cancel the reservation like they did to us Deborah