Car rental Italy ???

Jul 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Car rental Italy ???

Hello, I am getting ready to reserve a car through AutoEurope, pick up in Rome, near Villa Borghese & drop off in Venice 7 days later. There are 2 drop off addresses in Venice, 496-h Pizzale Roma, and 496-G pizzalle Roma, does it matter?? Are they just lots next to each other? And if the charge is $589.00 for am automatic Mercedes 190, what are the insurance rates? When we go to Mexico, we figure to double the quoted rate after all the coverage is added in. Just would like to get a heads-up so we are not schoked. Thanks!
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I would imagine the drop offs can't be far away since you can't drive in Venice anyway. The rate quoted for AutoEurope probably already has the insurance in it, that's the way European rental car companies usually quote. When we've used AutoEurope in the past, I don't think there'sa choice of whether to take the insurance or not, it's all inclusive.
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Insurance is NOT all-inclusive through AutoEurope (or just about anybody) and you need to get what is called "zero-deductible" or Super Coverage unless you are willing to carry a significant deductible.

For 7 days, the deductible is likely to be larger than the extra insurance, but you need to get the quote from AutoEurope. Your "Mexican forumula" sounds right to me.

As for the Venice dropoff, I'd be amazed if they weren't the same address.
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I just talked to my insurance carrier & they e-mailed me a letter verifying my insurance covers CDW at zero deductible so to decline the additional coverage. Now to get my husband to feel comforatable doint that!
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Be ready for the high petro prices. Our "high" prices in the USA are nothing!
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I expect it, but that's how I got our free FF first class tickets! Just keep using the Visa card...
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Peggy, I doubt that in Italy--did you ask about Italy? If yes, get it in writing. Also, it is all in a big
parking garage at Piazzale Roma--just depends on the car vendor that AE uses for your scenario. ALWAYS BOOK WITH THEM VIA PHONE.
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I am not aware that the insurance in Italy is optional or can be waived.
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Bob is right -- get it in writing.

This is not about basic insurance. It is about zero-deductible and making it sure it really does cover everything, so that if ANYTHING happens to the car, you don't pay. Period.

Jul 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I believe Italy requires both CDW on car rentals and the International Driver's Permit, a translation of your driver's license easily obtainable at AAA for about $10.
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I will double check all these things. Thank you for the detailed info. I did get it in writing from my Visa company & they acknowledged it was for Italy. But I will still double check. It does say the card company will reimburse the total amount, not deductible....so that could mean we would still be out money up front, correct? Is there a problem reserving online Bob?
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I mena no deductible....So it looks like a rental with a base quote of $589.00 may run as much as $1000.00 for a week when all is said & done?
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM

When I've booked a car with AutoEurope for Italy they would not allow me to decline the CDW. It should be included in the quote you got. If you've gotten the voucher, it will be spelled out in that.

We got that 190 one time and we just stood there and stared at it saying "This can't be a Mercedes!" It looked like a K-car (dating myself I know), the minusclue trunk space was exposed with a tiny hatchback. There wasn't even a cover to hide your luggage from view. The worst care we've ever rented.
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Linda, is there a car you would recommend? We are driving from Rome to Venice with a week thru Tuscany/Chianti.
Jul 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM

I checked and CDW and theft insurance are mandatory and included in the AutoEurope rate. A couple of years ago, I had a minor scrape with another car in a San Marino parking lot. Never received a bill - it was seamless. Glad that it was mandatory. The other driver saw I had a rental car and his attitude was "don't worry about it" even though I was clearly at fault.
As far as cars, see what you can get in a diesel. The fuel is a bit cheaper and diesels get better mileage. Fiat, Renault and Peugeot have some nice choices. I was very pleased with my Fiat Stilo but I do not know if that model is still available.
Jul 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM

basingstoke,

Not to keep beatign a dead horse, but NO ONE in this thread is talking about waiving CDW.

What we are talking about is that AutoEurope has recently tightened up on its insurance policies. They now stick renters with a very large DEDUCTIBLE on the standard insurance and they are not generous about overlooking damage. PeggyE needs to get it in writing that whatever rate she is paying gives her ZERO DEDUCTIBLE coverage in 2006.
Jul 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Nessundorma - no argument that zero deductable is important. That is why my experience was seamless. I believe (after visiting the AutoEurope website) that the deductable is about $590 for collision and the same for theft. The page did not say what the charge for zero deductable would be. IMO the lack of hassle after my scrape was worth every penny I paid for the extra coverage.
Jul 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

I think we have it now. We did book, and the CDW & theft are in the rate, better safe than sorry! Got the A180 MB since it is diesel & gets great mileage. Thank you everyone for your help, one more thing done; now, where to eat!! Traveling to a new place is overwhelming for us "over-planners" until we've been there once. I so appreciate the help so much.
Jul 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM

On the deductable issue, AutoEurope is a broker and as such, it is the company such as Hertz, EuropeCar, Sixt etc. it brokers with who sets the deductable. It varies by car and by country.

When I booked an Italy rental in 2005 though AutoEruope, they booked it through Sixt and there was no deductable on the mandatory insurance. Other rentals through Sixt have had hefty deductables (1500 euros on the last one) and I was allowed to decline the CDW but those were all rentals in France.

Car rental is the one aspect of trip planning that I absolutely detest.