Car Rental in U.K.

Jul 23rd, 1997, 02:57 PM
Tom Brown

Car Rental in U.K.

I plan to rent a car for a week upon my arrival in the U.K. (my first trip abroad). How easy is it to rent a car at Gatwick or Heathrow? What should I know before renting? What are the pitfalls I should be aware of? And are automatics really that hard to come by in the U.K.? Finally: How are the prices???

Jul 23rd, 1997, 03:55 PM
BArmour

First trip as well, going to Wales. Picking up car at Manchester Airport. Payless Auto - 21U.S. per day for a Mini in Sept. Have fun.

Jul 23rd, 1997, 11:06 PM
Tricia

Tom, See message posted 7/18 regarding Eurotrip guide website which is very car oriented. Has professionals who have traveled all over Europe and have excerpts from their books regarding car travel. Visit Patty Cambell's site, I think through clicking on links, as she has lots of info on UK.

Jul 25th, 1997, 04:04 AM
Lanny

Using your travel agent, pre-arrange the rental of your car from North America -- it is way cheaper than getting off the plane and renting on site when it will cost the earth. If you want an automatic -- I always get one -- stress this as you are right, they are harder to get. But not if booked in advance. Also, check in advance to see if any of your credit cards when used on the rental can give you a financial advantage when renting cars. My Air Canada Enroute card used for car rental covers the insurance, a significant saving, so I just sign the waiver refusing the insurance coverage offered to me (at about $20 per day) knowing I am already covered. Finally, don't get a huge car which gobbles gas. Gas in England is hellishly expensive (more than double the cost of gas here and even more than in the U.S.) so get a room economy car with four doors.

Search this Thread