Car rental in the South of France

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:22 PM
Sandy

Car rental in the South of France

Spending 2 weeks in Paris then 2 weeks in south of France in Sept-Oct. Stops in Amboise, Sarlat, Carcassone & Avignon. Rent car at Orly and drive to Amboise and drop off in Avignon then train to Paris or train to Amboise or Tours (whichever place has large rental car co.) and drop off in Avignon then train to Paris. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:26 PM
wendy

You've got it! <BR>I'd do it all exactly that way, using www.autoeurope.com...and taking the TGV train from Avignon to Paris...or flying on AF is $80 two weeks in advance. <BR>Bonne chance.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:37 PM
Sue

If you decide to train to Amboise or Tours, I'm sure both would have car rental places. <BR> <BR>I highly recommend the Hotel Donjon in Carcassonne (Best Western) and it has a nice restaurant across the street associated with it. You park in the parking lot indicated for hotel guests outside the walls, go up and check in, and they send a little jitney down with you to get your luggage. Then they bring your car up after dark.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:03 PM
Joel

Concur with Hotel Donjon at Carc. When in Sarlat buzz over to Rocamadour and the Gouffre de Padirac. <BR>Take the TGV, even if Air Inter is cheaper; the scenery is too great to miss. <BR>I'm sure you'll be doing more of the Provence than just Avignon. My sentimental favorite is Les Baux. Just go for lunch and admire this hillside marvel. On the coast, go to Aigues Mortes, which is imo far superior to Carcassonne and the launching point of at least one Crusade.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:42 AM
Sandy

Hi again, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the responses--does anyone know if Amboise has Auto Europe-so far I can't find out-I know Tours does. Mileage from Tours to Amboise/or/length of driving time? How long would it take to drive from Orly to Amboise? Thanks so MUCH!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Sue

AutoEurope is a broker for car rentals, not a renter; thus through AutoEurope you can get Avis, EuropeCar, etc., depending on which is cheaper. I'm sure they can rent you a car in Amboise (good things on this forum--do a text search above). Try www.mappy.com for mileage/driving times.